Moving Panels and redoing the racking? maybe?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nate379
    • Sep 2016

Moving Panels and redoing the racking? maybe?

Currently have 8 panels on an outbuilding that I'm planning to move to my house. They have been there about 5 years and the woods grew up to the point that the panels are being shaded quite a bit. House roof has sunlight another 4-5hrs a day more.

Current setup I have the panels horizontal mount. 2 tall, 4 wide.

I did it this way because it fit on the roof the best and with the racking going up and down any debris that gets under the panels like branches are much easier to remove.

On the house, I want to put it 4 tall, 2 wide so the panels are as far away from my wood stove chimney as possible.

Panels are 38.5"x64.5". From edge of roof to the chimney I have 27 ft, so as is they would be about 5ft from the chimney... too close. Area I'm working with on the house is about 20ft from soffit to ridge, 27ft from edge to chimney.

Right now each rail has 3 roof tie ins, we get 100mph winds so I went above the bare minimum of 2.

I am trying to find matching mid clamps too, they are Orion brand. The company I bought the whole package from (Solar Tech USA) is adamant that Orion is out of business, which doesn't seem to be true. Very hard talking to them, they don't speak English well. I tried to get just some mid clamps and new flashing and somehow that turned into a $700 quote for all new racking. I ended up having the flashing made locally for about $8 each.

I found a place called Civic Solar that sells Orion racking, but the clamps they have are completely different than mine. https://www.civicsolar.com/products/racking-mounting?f[0]=field_product_manufacturer%3A143&f[1]=field_rack_mount_prod_type%3AMid%20Clamp

Pics to help explain. Just looking for ideas, should I do the 2 wide, 4 tall and I'll be able to reuse all my parts, or rethink this? 4 tall is about 13 feet so it'd give me about 3.5 feet top and bottom, or I suppose I could add 2 more panels and have a 10 panel grid, and have about 18" top and bottom.

Not that it really matters, but they are on Enphase 215 inverters. I should be able to reuse the power cord I have.

20160904_173429.jpg 20160904_173445.jpg 20160904_173449.jpg 20160904_173509.jpg 20160904_174104.jpg 20160904_174053.jpg 20160904_174113.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nate379; 09-04-2016, 11:00 PM.
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Those roof mounts look like they have exposed bolt heads.
    I wouldn't use a roof mount where the lag bolt isn't covered by flashing (or at least up above the roofline like quickmount does)

Good luck with your project.

It looks like you have some space there - so you could consider doing a ground-mount instead.

And there's lots of places that will sell you racking.

Comment

• nate379
      • Sep 2016

The L bracket has a 1/2" or so bump that locks into the flashing. The lag bolt has a rubber washer similar to metal roofing screws. When I installed I put a dab of roof tar under the L and in the hole the lag bolt goes in. Been up there 5 years and no leaks.

Probably better designs now, but I'm trying to not put more money into this, and I have no reason to not reuse my racking.

Have about 1/2 acre, but don't want a ground mount. Moose seem to attack them plus it would get taxed as a structure, where on the roof it doens;'t.
      Last edited by nate379; 09-04-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• brewbeer
        • May 2016

Seems like cutting the offending trees would be easier.

Comment

• nate379
          • Sep 2016

Can't, they aren't on my land. The shed is about 30ft from the corner of the property, trees are cleared to the line. Would need to clear a good 1/4 acre as well, it's not just a few trees, otherwise I'd already have done it (logging is my day job) Much easier to move the panels to the house where the sunlight is better.

Guess I expected plenty of experienced folks on here.
          FWIW, I had the local solar company come out to do a quote to move them (I really don't have the time) and they tried to hire me, said my install was WAY better than how they do theirs. (Yeah... that really sold me on hiring g them! They wanted $1500 to JUST move the panels, with me doing all the wiring)
          Last edited by nate379; 09-06-2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• nate379
            • Sep 2016

Apparently the racking I have is "obsolete" (it's 4 or 5 years old! jeez!). Trying to see if I can still get a few clamps, otherwise I'm just going to make them on the mill I guess. Certainly not buying $500 of racking just for 4 clamps.

Comment

Working...