Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cajun Bill
    • Jul 2016

Bad Battery??

Still trying to get a small off grid system going as I posted under the topic "Two free solar panels", but now I have a battery question. I have four 6V GC batteries from Sam's that I am trying to incorporate into this system. For awhile, they were in my RV with a smart charger keeping them charged for use when dry camping, but I recently removed them from the camper about a month ago and am now trying to install them while I build my system.. Here's my question, when I checked the voltage, three indicated just over 6V each and one measured only a bit over 2V. I wired it in series with one of the other 6V batts that seemed to be good so I could put my 12V battery charger on them, but it doesn't appear that either one is taking a charge. I did the same to two of the other batteries that were registering over 6V and they seem to be taking a charge fine. Here's my questions: Can the battery presently measuring 2V be brought back? I believe the answer to that one is probably "no" so here's my second question, if I buy one new battery, is the fact that it is new and the other batteries are three years old going to greatly affect anything or can I get by, at least for now?
  • Gavin
    • Sep 2016

Bill sorry to hear about your batteries. They are in fact damaged. The way the batteries are designed, after being discharged so much they simply cannot be charged again. The age is going to make a little difference (10-15%) on system efficiency but I would say you'll be just fine for now.

-Gavin
    MOD NOTE. linking your sales site is not allowed unless you pay ad rates to user JASON
    Last edited by Mike90250; 09-04-2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Cajun Bill
      Here's my questions: Can the battery presently measuring 2V be brought back?
      No it was a boat anchor long ago.

Originally posted by Cajun Bill
      I believe the answer to that one is probably "no" so here's my second question, if I buy one new battery, is the fact that it is new and the other batteries are three years old going to greatly affect anything or can I get by, at least for now?
      Save yourself a lot of grief, get new batteries. Do not mix old and new. You were lucky to get 3 years out of the batteries.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Gavin
        Bill sorry to hear about your batteries. They are in fact damaged. The way the batteries are designed, after being discharged so much they simply cannot be charged again. The age is going to make a little difference (10-15%) on system efficiency but I would say you'll be just fine for now.

-Gavin
        What a load of BS

Batteries are not designed to behave this way, It is a simple chemical fact.

And don't link to your sales site, contact user JASON for advertising rates.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...