Installing power optimizers... Is this going to work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shed power
    • Jun 2016

Installing power optimizers... Is this going to work?

I have heard of solar edge optimizers going bad, and since I have 1' standoffs, I could access under the array if needed. So I decided to go pick up some hardware and wanted to know what you guys think about the grounding of this bolt configuration.

It goes: Bolt, fender washer, rail, star washer, nut, star washer, power optimizer, fender washer, nylock nut.

With the extra nut and star washer, I can remove the power optimizers from the bottom.
  • Shed power
    • Jun 2016

Also: Should I run a #6 on clamping end lugs of the rails; or down to every power optimizer?

Do I need to ground across the rail splice sections?

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Shed power
      Also: Should I run a #6 on clamping end lugs of the rails; or down to every power optimizer?

Do I need to ground across the rail splice sections?
      I would just say, I have used 100% 18-8 stainless hardware here with good results for 40 months. Ordinary steel parts will
      soon rust solid. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

that's not a certified grounding bolt. There are specialty grounding clips that are certified. WEEB And you can use any SS hardware with them,

Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Shed power
          • Jun 2016

I was hoping to use some of my old hardware laying around the garage but you guys are right. I should not be bolting zinc coated steel to aluminum. Thank you

About the WEEB or star washer debate. I contacted solar edge and even watched their videos and for the power optimizers all you need to do is star washer them to the rails.

The washers and locknuts are stainless, I'll pick up some stainless nuts and bolts.

I am using WEEB lay in lugs with #6 solid at the ends of each of my rails, and WEEB clips for the modules to the rails.

Is this not sufficient?

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Shed power
            ....I am using WEEB lay in lugs with #6 solid at the ends of each of my rails, and WEEB clips for the modules to the rails.

Is this not sufficient?
            Depends on your local code and lightning hazard, check with the planning department as to what the inspector wants to see

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...