Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ginnamin
    • Aug 2016

Help!

I am a Newbie I am trying to figure out what I need to run a 1500 watt toaster oven ( black & Decker model T03250XSB), when camping. I need to know what would work best. I know I will need a solar panel and an inverter but have no clue as to which ones?
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

That is the wrong type appliance to take camping, unless you also have a generator. Get a gas or propane portable unit. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Ginnamin
      • Aug 2016

It is out of an RV

Comment

• Ginnamin
        • Aug 2016

We also would like to do a setup with it to "play" around with and see how solar works; but thanks for the reply

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ginnamin
          We also would like to do a setup with it to "play" around with and see how solar works; but thanks for the reply

that is going to be some expensive toast.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

A load as big as a 1500 watt "anything" would require a solar panel and battery system that will take up more than the entire roof and a couple of the storage compartments of a Class A RV.

I am sorry solar is just not efficient enough to run large loads like that. It is ok for some lights and small fans but even Air conditioners would be too big to run without costing a lot of money.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

1500w @ 12V is going to be over 125amps. A submarine battery might work for that, but it would weigh half as much as your camper.

At 48V, it would be about 35A. Are you just making toast for 5 minutes, or cooking chicken pot pies for 65 minutes ? That's going to determine the size of the battery bank. For 5 minutes, you could barely get by with 4, 12V 100ah deep cycle batteries. Any more than 5 minutes of usage, you will need ,larger batteries, like eight 6V 200ah golf cart batteries. And new springs to carry the weight. And a 48V 2500W inverter (that's a few $$ too)

Solar panels will be sized to replace your daily usage, just a couple for the 5 min toast cycle, but you need half a dozen or more to bake those chicken pot pies.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Logan5
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2013

Use a propane stove top toaster by coleman. a toaster uses as much power as a 1 ton Air condition, your batteries will go down to 50% under heavy 2 min. load and take the rest of the day to recover from solar if at all. Solar battery systems are not good with resistance loads like toaster/ovens, electric water heater or hair dryers. even a drip coffee pot is asking a lot from a battery charged from limited solar of an RV roof top.

Comment

Working...