Dual battery bank. Off grid in the car. Am I about to make a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tamnakz
    • Jul 2016

Dual battery bank. Off grid in the car. Am I about to make a mistake?

I'm a few weeks away from going mobile full time in a car and trailer.
    I've been dabbling with solar for a bit, and have some things I'll take with me, but I'm going to take what I've learned and hope to buy the right setup the first time.

As for my lighting? I'm going to be driving around the country full time, so a bit of everything.

I'm doing this on a budget. I've already got a 100watt flex panel and basic pwm CC, and a source for almost new 20ah 12v AGM batteries CHEEP. Two of the batteries and my 100w panel, I'm thinking would work great for my phone/ecigarette charging/two computer fans for constant vehicle ventilation. No more than a 20-35w combined draw. I've got plenty of space for this on the top of and under the floor in my car.

I also need a larger bank, to run a small TV (30w) large fan (80-120w) Stereo (25w) lights (15w) water pump (35w) occasionally an inverter for power tools (1000w peak pure sine). This would mount on top of and inside my trailer. I'm not as smart as I used to be, and I have never lived on the road full time before, so I can only guestimate my usages. I've come to believe somewhere between 200-300 rated AH at 12v would sustain me without a charge source for at least two or three days. I had been thinking all along that a pair of Trojan 6v cart batteries would suffice(200ah the low end), but I'm thinking I might want to go larger to carry more of a reserve. I would run the larger panel (200-300w?) on a mppt charge controller, but am afraid I'll be undercharging possibly?

I'd rather spend the necessary money now to make sure I don't cook batteries. No point in spending money on a system that will kill itself just because I use it.

Here's where I can't get my mind around the math to make a decision.. ALL of my loads are 12v, I'll only really use A/C when I'm on shore power or need power tools without access to it. I know that if I get a 30v range panel, and a 24v capable charge controller, and build a 24v battery bank, all my charging runs that much more efficiently. If I went 24v, I'd get a 24-12 buck converter so I tap the batteries evenly. This would also let me run 24v and convert it to 12v right at the use source, which would minimize line loss.

My three questions.
    Battery bank size, and the panels that go with. Bigger? Smaller? Opinions?

Using 24v for the charging efficiency, but losing ?5-15%? when I convert it down to 12v. Is that a crazy idea?

Am I just crazy?

• jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Tamnakz
    Here's where I can't get my mind around the math to make a decision.. ALL of my loads are 12v, I'll only really use A/C when I'm on shore power or need power tools without access to it. I know that if I get a 30v range panel, and a 24v capable charge controller, and build a 24v battery bank, all my charging runs that much more efficiently. If I went 24v, I'd get a 24-12 buck converter so I tap the batteries evenly. This would also let me run 24v and convert it to 12v right at the use source, which would minimize line loss.
    As long as:
    1) Your inverter remains 24 volts
    2) You disconnect the buck when it is not in use and
    3) The buck is adequately rated

that should work.
    Battery bank size, and the panels that go with. Bigger? Smaller? Opinions?
    Target C/10 charge rate. (As always the battery manufacturer specs are the final word.) Don't use more than 2 or 3 (max) batteries in parallel. So for your 20ah batteries that would be 6 batteries - 3s2p, 60ah pack. That means you'll want about 6 amps of charge current, which means about 180 watts of panels with an MPPT controller.
    Using 24v for the charging efficiency, but losing ?5-15%? when I convert it down to 12v. Is that a crazy idea?
    Not as long as you follow the caveats above.

Comment

• Tamnakz
      • Jul 2016

Originally posted by jflorey2
      As long as: 1) Your inverter remains 24 volts 2) You disconnect the buck when it is not in use and 3) The buck is adequately rated that should work. Target C/10 charge rate. (As always the battery manufacturer specs are the final word.) Don't use more than 2 or 3 (max) batteries in parallel. So for your 20ah batteries that would be 6 batteries - 3s2p, 60ah pack. That means you'll want about 6 amps of charge current, which means about 180 watts of panels with an MPPT controller. Not as long as you follow the caveats above.
      I would run any inverters or converters from the 24v bank. I'd never individually tap two batteries that function as a bank. To me that's as crazy as tapping into three cells on your cars battery to use a 6v light.
      Also, I would ONLY use the 20ah 12v AGM batteries for the small bank in my car. To be clear, I'm looking at one 40ah bank and one 200-300ah or larger bank.

My recipe as I have it so far? Subject to change 100w panel + pwm CC + 40ah at 12v (two 12v 20ah) = small stuff. If I'm correct, the AGM batteries (Duralast Gold) will not suffer at the hands of the 100w panel. I thought I'd found a c/5 charge rate for them but can't seem to find the spec sheet again... I'd verify before I put them together, but I've also got a few 50w panels on hand should I need to downsize.

I am only considering the larger bank at 24v. I would do that with either four 6v batteries or two 12v. Though, I haven't done any reading into 24v batteries to see if there's bang/buck. It wasn't until this morning that it occurred to me I might gain a lot from going 24v even though my uses are all 5-16vdc.

...But your math still stands, and thank you, by the way. I'm still wrapping my head around how much changes going from 12-24v. I was confused until I realized you obviously meant 6amps at 24v.
      Last edited by Tamnakz; 07-25-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Tamnakz
        • Jul 2016

duplicate
        Last edited by Tamnakz; 07-25-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

A 30V panel is not going to be able to fully charge and EQ the batteries. Just skip the small 20Ah batteries, they are going to be more trouble than they are worth, spend that $ on another panel, or a battery isolator so you can charge from the car alternator (12V bank only)

A 24V battery bank needs at least a 35V PV array to be sure EQ happens on a hot day when the panel voltage drops.

But before you jump to 24V (which has advantages over 12V), how often will you have the engine running on the tow vehicle ? Will it be often enough to skip solar and keep the batteries charged ? or use a small inverter generator to charge the batteries, Solar panels require good strong direct sun, and I would want to park in the shade, which would disable SOLAR panels. You can put the panels on a long cord and stick them in the sun, but then be careful they don't wander off.
          Lots of things to consider before you spend any money. PV panels flat on a roof, loose efficiency because they are not aimed well.

Collect ideas for a day or 3 before you spend too much $
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Tamnakz
            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
            A 30V panel is not going to be able to fully charge and EQ the batteries. Just skip the small 20Ah batteries, they are going to be more trouble than they are worth, spend that $ on another panel, or a battery isolator so you can charge from the car alternator (12V bank only)

A 24V battery bank needs at least a 35V PV array to be sure EQ happens on a hot day when the panel voltage drops.

But before you jump to 24V (which has advantages over 12V), how often will you have the engine running on the tow vehicle ? Will it be often enough to skip solar and keep the batteries charged ? or use a small inverter generator to charge the batteries, Solar panels require good strong direct sun, and I would want to park in the shade, which would disable SOLAR panels. You can put the panels on a long cord and stick them in the sun, but then be careful they don't wander off.
            Lots of things to consider before you spend any money. PV panels flat on a roof, loose efficiency because they are not aimed well.

Collect ideas for a day or 3 before you spend too much $
            I've been collecting ideas for months, slowly but surely. I've got a lot of the facts in my head, but no experience with practical application.

The small batteries would only be used for a small bank. 40AH max. I have a 100w panel for those batteries, or 50w if it's necessary depending on spec'd charge rate(AGM batteries). I also account for the fact that I'm operating said panel on a flat roof and with a pwm CC, I know it'll never put out near 100w to the battery. This small bank may get hooked up with an isolator to charge off the alternator, but plan is not to be running my car much. Park somewhere for a few days to a week while I camp/hike/work etc.

I have a few flex panels (lightweight easy to store and move) and the cabling to Y into my charge controller to be able to move a panel away into the sun. Accounting for distance losses... I will also have a long extension cord and (though I haven't purchased it yet) a proper charger to be able to charge my larger bank on shore power.

The larger bank is what I'm considering running at 24v and using higher voltage panels on. I WOULD NOT USE THE 20AH batteries for this. I've looked at panels with open circuit voltages between 30-42 volts, but I can't choose a panel until I choose batteries. For the larger battery bank, the best I seem to have found so far are Trojan T105 6v batteries, which I have a line on for under 100 new. That was when I thought two T105's was enough for me though. I'm worried it may not be. I could easily run series/parallel with them and have a 24v bank, but that might just be blatant overkill for me...

But... I know I'm better off going too big than too small. I'd rather discharge to 75% than 25%. I'm a thrifty person by nature, but I also realize that with what I'm doing, making the right decision now will save me a lot of money in system revamping/changes later.

My thoughts? Given my widely varying use and light conditions, logic makes me think I should shoot for a 5-7day reserve instead of 2-4 like I see recommended. I don't want this so much for the extra reserve, but the extra charging capacity. If my bank can handle 300w of panel, then a daily 10-20ah useage wouldn't be hard to replenish, even in sub-par light.

Is the train of logic I'm following worth pondering? Or am I missing something that makes it a bad decision outright, and I just don't see it yet?

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

But... I know I'm better off going too big than too small. I'd rather discharge to 75% than 25%. I'm a thrifty person by nature, but I also realize that with what I'm doing, making the right decision now will save me a lot of money in system revamping/changes later.
              Normally yes. However you have to lug these batteries (and replace them periodically) so consider that cost as well as the additional gas and wear and tear on your rig.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                • Jul 2016

My thought process is this - most of what I've read on battery life is, your batteries last as well as you treat them. If I can ensure my batteries are useable for a full working life, and the next set, by making a better investment now in what I'm going to charge them with, I'll save myself down the line. Assuming I don't break a panel or fry a controller lol.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                  • Jul 2016

at
                  Normally yes. However you have to lug these batteries (and replace them periodically) so consider that cost as well as the additional gas and wear and tear on your rig.
                  I'm aware, though please don't think I don't appreciate the input.

I'm trying to determine if the added weight and investment of the larger array will pay off in the long run. My biggest concern is getting to a place where I'm draining my batteries further than I'd like and then not seeing a full charge before I'm discharging again.

It seems like the larger system, even though it's more than I need for my regular use, would be far easier for me to maintain at a healthy level. Given the low discharge use compared to high charge.

The other consideration I have is using AGM batteries for my large bank as well. Purely for the fact that you can throw a much higher charge current at them, which lets me use a larger panel to make the best use possible of the light I have available.

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

The other consideration I have is using AGM batteries for my large bank as well. Purely for the fact that you can throw a much higher charge current at them, which lets me use a larger panel to make the best use possible of the light I have available.
                    Given that you want to do that, is there a reason you are not considering lithium iron phosphate?

Comment

• Tamnakz
                      • Jul 2016

Given that you want to do that, is there a reason you are not considering lithium iron phosphate?
                      I don't want to do AGM. It's simply a possibility I've considered, while I try to figure out what would work best for me. What I want? A battery bank that will meet my needs and that won't struggle to fully charge somewhat regularly given my cruddy light situation.

I know that my lack of regular light (as in, the same light consistently, I'll get plenty of sunlight) makes a typical system design less than favorable for me. The only reason I'm considering AGM or oversizing is to make it easier for me to keep my batteries as full as possible as often as possible. I'd rather extend their life than cut it short with system design. AGM batteries would allow me to charge fully more quickly with a larger panel. That doesn't necessarily mean it's worth the additional investment over just a flooded deep cycle. An AGM battery would simply be easier for me to keep from undercharging.

LiFePo4 hasn't ever seemed to be worthwhile to me. Initial investment is so much higher I could replace my batteries at least once, probably twice before reaching the same investment as lithium. I think if I make sure I e wind up with solid plate batteries I'll survive (from what I know, batteries are batteries, electrolyte is essentially the same between manufacturers depending on battery type, plates are what you pay money for, which seems dumb, 'cause lead is cheap)
                      Last edited by Tamnakz; 07-27-2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                        Tamnakz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        adoublee - Thank you for the LiFePo4 info. I'm quite familiar with the technology, at least more than as familiar as I feel I need to be to decide it's not what I'm interested in at this point. I have different priorities out of my system than most here I believe, mostly that 100% of my uses out of it are luxuries. My luxuries aren't, at this moment, worth doubling my planned investment to get an easier battery to work with.

I know enough to use LiFePo4 if I want to. Why does everyone on here presume and talk to me like I'm stupid? Do I really seem that dumb in my presentation here? I'm recovering from a wicked head injury, and still don't know just how fawked up my brain is. I'm asking seriously, do I really seem that dumb?

It's not the intricacies of individual cell maintenance that ward me off, I didn't get scared at the work or assume it's gonna blow up on me...

• adoublee
                        adoublee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm not presuming or saying you are stupid - I was mentioning what others here will say. Only was warning you because I know the standard responses some new members get which lead others to question if some here even have interest in batteries OR solar.

Best wishes with healing the head injury.

• Tamnakz
                        Tamnakz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, I was prepared for the onslaught, but not well enough...

I know this will sound dorky, but I was actually excited to make my first post here, what a fool move that was. haha.

Three pages of posts and nothing I've been able to say has gotten back on topic, especially given the ridicule that comes here with asking someone to verify your math.
                    • Mike90250
                      • May 2009

For the simplest system to start with, forget the small batteries and just don't bother with them or their panels. Invest that $ into another panel for the 24V system. You never end up with too much solar (extremely rare), and forget the expense of AGM, Batteries belong on the trailer tongue, not indoors (unless you are -20F).
                      And you are going to need a battery charger and generator to run it (harbor freight has some small generators, with small warranties) 3 days no sun, your battery bank is flat and no way to charge it, you ruin your batteries,
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

You do not need or have a solar application. You need a House Battery and Electronic Battery Isolator to use the vehicle alternator to charge the batteries. Your vehicle alternator can generate more power in 30 minutes than the panel can generate in a week.

Even if you use panels, still requires either a generator or the vehicle alternator. It will cost you less than $40 and do more work in 5 minutes that you panel can do in a day.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Tamnakz
                          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
                          You do not need or have a solar application. You need a House Battery and Electronic Battery Isolator to use the vehicle alternator to charge the batteries. Your vehicle alternator can generate more power in 30 minutes than the panel can generate in a week.

Even if you use panels, still requires either a generator or the vehicle alternator. It will cost you less than $40 and do more work in 5 minutes that you panel can do in a day.
                          I've got very small consumption for a 'House Battery' compared to most folks I've seen with similarly designed setups. It helps that I'm a watt counting person even in my house. A large consideration is that I don't plan to use the 'large' bank except for down time. I'm partially disabled and will always deal with downtime to recover my aching bones. The largest constant consumption I could see myself with is about 150watts. That's for a TV, larger fan, both of my small devices charging, and is a liberal estimate.

My vehicle does have a 100amp alternator, but at idle puts out 20-30amps at best. I haven't ruled out an isolator as source altogether, but I will not be driving every day, and I'd rather have that only as a backup. I'd have no problem running my car once in awhile if I'm parked without shore power for too long without sun, but I'd prefer that to be the backup than the norm.

I am aware an isolator, a bumped idle, and patience would charge any batteries I want charged for a few dollars a day, but I'd rather spend 4-600 now if It's not a waste of money to do so to avoid that 345 days out of the year.
                          Last edited by Tamnakz; 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            For the simplest system to start with, forget the small batteries and just don't bother with them or their panels. Invest that $ into another panel for the 24V system. You never end up with too much solar (extremely rare), and forget the expense of AGM, Batteries belong on the trailer tongue, not indoors (unless you are -20F).
                            And you are going to need a battery charger and generator to run it (harbor freight has some small generators, with small warranties) 3 days no sun, your battery bank is flat and no way to charge it, you ruin your batteries,
                            The biggest reason I'm looking at the small batteries is because I can get them so cheap... $1 an amp hour for batteries less than a year old. I've already got panels and a CC to work with them. I'd never put more than a 10-20watt load on them, and it'd be easy for me to treat my larger battery right even in long term shade. Just a side thought...

AGM is of very little interest to me, unless it's charge characteristics (c/4-6) make it more likely for me to be able to charge a battery to full.

My trailer is an enclosed utility trailer for storage, and my car a station wagon for sleeping. A battery in the trailer is out of the elements, but not so much 'indoors.' I've said before I plan to make use of shore power whenever available. I'll not run a generator. No way no how.

Comment

Working...