Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • somawheels
    • Jan 2015

Shunts/dumping excess load

Example: If i have a 10 amp charge controller, and My PV will output up to 20 amps, What component do I need to get rid of the excess current when it reaches >10 amps?
    I have had a search for shunts, but found nothing that makes sense to me
    Thanks
    Last edited by somawheels; 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

You need an mppt CC with current limiting. I would check the ratings of your current cc (model number) against the size of your array... it sounds like there might be a mismatch.

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• MetricAmerica
      • May 2016

Buy another 10 amp charger and battery, done... or twenty amp charger...you solar slut you...

Comment

• somawheels
        • Jan 2015

So is there not an alternative method that does not involve buying new charge controllers? If you can get a charge controller with a current limiting device, is there not a standalone current limiting device out there?

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by somawheels
          So is there not an alternative method that does not involve buying new charge controllers? If you can get a charge controller with a current limiting device, is there not a standalone current limiting device out there?
          A new 20 amp CC may end up being cheaper as well as help generate more power for you.

Comment

• somawheels
            • Jan 2015

Cheaper than what?
            My 10/20 amp story was just an example... Sorry, I should have used a reallife situation for this question
            I have a 50amp solar charger built into my inverter, I would like to connect an 70amp PV array. I chose this inverter because it has certain desirable features, however the 50A Charge controller was not one of them.
            Last edited by somawheels; 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• sensij
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

Please tell us about your 70 A array (panel model? how are they wired?) and the 50 A cc you bought (what model?)

Comment

• Logan5
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2013

you would use a resistor or a carbon pile. you could also use a pump, it's called a load dump, most commonly used with hydro and wind. Not usually done with solar set ups.

Comment

• sensij
                  sensij commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These ideas are appropriate when using voltage as a trigger to shunt to the load. OP wants to divide current. Creating a load is easy, figuring out when and how much to dump to it is hard. You wouldn't build a passive divider in this scenario, because most of the time, the array won't be producing amps in excess of the charge controller rating. Better to just get a CC that is rated to handle the desired input, or one that has the ability to regulate its output current to stay within its rating.
              • somawheels
                • Jan 2015

I would have 24V panels wired in parallel, each panel outputs 8.46 amps (max). I would only be able to use 6 of these panels with the 50A charge controller.
                The model isn't really relevant as it is a cheap thing you wont have heard of, but I can assure you (by looking at the user manual) 6 of these panels is the max.
                Thanks
                Last edited by somawheels; 07-01-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

I would have 24V panels wired in parallel, each panel outputs 8.46 amps (max). I would only be able to use 6 of these panels with the 50A charge controller.
                  The model isn't really relevant as it is a cheap thing you wont have heard of, but I can assure you (by looking at the user manual) 6 of these panels is the max.
                  Thanks
                  Why would you use a PWM controller for an array this big?

Comment

• Logan5
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2013

Thanks
                    sounds like junk, why would you risk damaging heavy, expensive batteries with a junk controller?

Comment

• somawheels
                      • Jan 2015

Because I trust a relatively cheap PWM charger more than A relatively cheap MPPT controller (where there is more to go wrong with the quality of the product)

Well thank you people, I think you given the answer

Originally posted by Logan5
                      you would use a resistor or a carbon pile. you could also use a pump, it's called a load dump, most commonly used with hydro and wind. Not usually done with solar set ups.
                      "These ideas are appropriate when using voltage as a trigger to shunt to the load. OP wants to divide current. Creating a load is easy, figuring out when and how much to dump to it is hard. You wouldn't build a passive divider in this scenario, because most of the time, the array won't be producing amps in excess of the charge controller rating. Better to just get a CC that is rated to handle the desired input, or one that has the ability to regulate its output current to stay within its rating."

I Will just have to stick to 6 panels.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

The amount you are saving in the difference in cost between those controllers (or failure risk, or however you want to quantify it) will be eaten up quickly by the lower production of the PWM controller. 6 panels on the MPPT should perform comparably to the same as 8 on the PWM. Pennywise, pound foolish.

Comment

• somawheels
                          • Jan 2015

I understand that investing in trustworthy gear is a saving in the long term, but some people simply cant afford expensive gear by trustworthy brands. If you could only buy cheap (but not cheapest) chinese charge controllers, would you get an MPPT or a PWM?

Comment

• Logan5
                            Logan5 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            poor excuse, you have batteries that cost more to replace than a good quality MPPT charge controller. If you can not afford a quality CC, you can not afford to solar charge the batteries, expect to be hauling those batteries back very soon.
                        • sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

First I would figure out how much charge current is needed to maintain the batteries. Not maintaining them properly would be the most expensive choice. Once I knew the charge current required, I'd look at the cost of the panels + PWM controller capable of delivering that current, and the cost of the panels + MPPT to get the same capability, and decide from there.

Comment

Working...