X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Movies: Solar Panel Installation Movie

Link to a you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCrdtIvD3I

commercial install, filmed by homeowner.

18 Sharp 235-Watt panels with Enphase M190 inverters
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

A very nice installation video i must say! Thanks for this!

Comment

Great Video!

Thanks so much for posting! I am just starting the research on a solar project for my house. I am reasonably handy so I'm trying to figure out what I can practically do to cut costs and remain within code. Based on what I have researched so far, your system with the micro inverters seems to be the way to go. Your video really pulls it all together well. That has to be fun to see that meter spin backwards!

Thanks!
      Gib

Comment

thanks

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot for this video...

Regards
        [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="blue"]Shapath[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="lime"][QUOTE]We must be the change we wish to see in the world - Gandhi[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I know the installers in the video

I have a few questions however about this install.

At 0:28 what are they bolting to it looks like plywood instead of framing by the way the screws are running in.

At 2:14 An installer is zip screwing ground lugs to the modules. They make a big deal about how they don't use weeb clips or washers. but zip screws? Doesn't code require a star or weeb washer and a bolt?

At 4:15 the wires from the modules appear to be stuffed under the module and are sitting on the roofing.

And finally it appears that they tied into the sub panel? Granted this is only less than 20 amps but there was not enough detail in the video and the volume on my laptop is so low I couldn't hear what the guy was saying.
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
            I know the installers in the video

I have a few questions however about this install.

At 0:28 what are they bolting to it looks like plywood instead of framing by the way the screws are running in.

At 2:14 An installer is zip screwing ground lugs to the modules. They make a big deal about how they don't use weeb clips or washers. but zip screws? Doesn't code require a star or weeb washer and a bolt?

At 4:15 the wires from the modules appear to be stuffed under the module and are sitting on the roofing.

And finally it appears that they tied into the sub panel? Granted this is only less than 20 amps but there was not enough detail in the video and the volume on my laptop is so low I couldn't hear what the guy was saying.
            I was curious about some of the same things as Naptown, especially the zip ties and the wiring that "appeared from the video" to be just lying under the solar panel as they screwed the solar panel down.
            [B]Keep It Simple, Stupid![/B]

Comment

Well most of the workers are probably not legal so do you think they will also follow code if they don't even know the code. This is a great cost cutting solution. My boss decided to hire some illegal workers and when they showed up on a project at 36kw the homeowner freaked out and told them to get off his land and he cancelled the check which he wrote to our company. I had already been paid my commission and used most of it to pay towards student loans. I now owe my company $2700. Great cost cutting solution huh! I'm not interviewing with another company. However, very cool video.

Comment

I was very curious about solar panel installation.Excellent video about proper solar panel installation .Thanks for sharing this informative information.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post

Yes, how likely is it that they moved the breaker feeding the sub-panel to far end of the bus in the main panel? The backfeed in the sub panel is a 20 amp double breaker.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Great Video and some of the do's and do not's involved....

Did not look all that bad to me. The zip ties are a good way to keep a bundled cord wrapped up. At least they used Black ties. Some people dont even know to NOT use clear outside. The main thing I did not like was the conduit. I don't want 3/4 EMT ran 20 foot down the side of my house. Looks terrible. He is in the woods, so does not matter as much, I guess. Plus the pipe they used was the smallest possible. What if he upgrades ? They had the pipe packed, 7 wires I think... You would have a tough time just getting one more through it.

I want 3 time that size... A question on the placing. It does seem that he was getting shade there already. I noticed too, they spaced the same top to bottom on the roof. Is it code to mount in the middle ? Can you favor the top of the roof.

Also, like pointed out, large, long bolts put into 1/2 plywood. On top of that, the bolts were shouldered. So by the time they went all the way in, no thread was left to hold everything down. That was really bad....

I could never allow that here in FLorida. Been through 3 hurricanes. 110 mph..That stuff would be in my yard. They should have marked the bracket locations, then went into the attic and added 2" x 6" to the sdie of each roof rafter. Then bolted..

Comment

Here is a interesting video that you can check about solar energy if you are interested you can find more information here Solar Panels
                      400px-Fixed_Tilt_Solar_panel_at_Canterbury_Municipal_Building_Canterbury_New_Hampshire.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

A good how not to do it video. Notice the rail feet are not fastened to the roof joists? Not properly flashed they used the goop it and pray it doesn't leak method. Self tapping screws are not permitted for grounding in my area. Doubtful the junction box was flashed properly on the roof. Poor guy will have water leaking into his house eventually, that is if the wind doesn't tear the panels off the roof first.

Comment

Working...
                        X