Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 HP well pump motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1 HP well pump motor

    I would like to setup a solar system to power a 1 HP well pump.

    The pump is single phase 230 vac and draws 8.3 amps at full normal load.

    Question: Can two 12vdc X 110vac be wired in series to feed 220vac to the motor

    Noticed that the 24vdc/220vac or 12vdc/220vac inverters are 50 Hz.

    Will the 220 vac/60 Hz motor run on 220 vac 50 Hz?

  • #2
    My advice is to get a licensed electrician to help you. I'm just concerned for your safety, no offence.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by raven1 View Post
      I would like to setup a solar system to power a 1 HP well pump.

      The pump is single phase 230 vac and draws 8.3 amps at full normal load.

      Question: Can two 12vdc X 110vac be wired in series to feed 220vac to the motor

      Noticed that the 24vdc/220vac or 12vdc/220vac inverters are 50 Hz.

      Will the 220 vac/60 Hz motor run on 220 vac 50 Hz?
      Quick answer is NO.

      Do not try to wire two single phase 110volt system in series to generate a 220volt system.

      As Green suggested please be safe and go get a licensed electrician to discuss options to run your pump.

      Comment


      • #4
        1 HP well pump motor

        Well is on a farm with no bldgs, only open area.
        Currently using a 220vac generator to power 1 HP well pump with a rubber extension cord.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by raven1 View Post
          Well is on a farm with no bldgs, only open area.
          Currently using a 220vac generator to power 1 HP well pump with a rubber extension cord.
          You will need an inverter that is rated about 1500 watts 230vac 60hz output. The problem is unless you have a battery source of some kind you will not get a constant voltage output from a pv solar panel to keep the pump running. You will need a big battery system. The cost of that battery system will be very expensive.

          I would stay with the generator for now. You may be able to swap out your old pump with a new DC version. I believe the sponsor of this website sells Solar water pump systems.

          Comment


          • #6
            From your 1st post it is rather clear you are not in the electric field - buy from a dealer for your own safety.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              1 HP well pump motor

              Currently have a bank of four deep cycle Trojan T-1275 plus 12v batteries with 120 AH capacity/battery
              used for irrigation purposes using a 24vdc/120ac converter for a transfer pump.

              The 220vac inverters seem to all 50 Hz, the well pump is 220vac 60Hz

              The well pump uses 1900 watts based on running current of 8.3 amps.
              The inverter needs to be a minimum 5700 watt capacity to handle the start up mode.

              I know a 10,000 watt 220 inverter will do the job, but that was not my question.

              Re state the question: Can the putput of two 120 volt inverters be wired in series to produce 220 vac.

              Already know that two 12 vdc inverter cannot be wired in series on input
              side to work off a 24vdc battery bank

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by raven1 View Post
                Re state the question: Can the putput of two 120 volt inverters be wired in series to produce 220 vac.
                That question was already answered by SunEagle, and the answer is still no. If you need 220 output you buy an inverter that puts out 220. Simple.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by green View Post
                  That question was already answered by SunEagle, and the answer is still no. If you need 220 output you buy an inverter that puts out 220. Simple.
                  If and only if the two inverters are the same model from the same manufacturer and have instructions on how to connect them together to produce 240 volts, you can do it. There has to be coordination between the two inverters so that their output waveforms are synchronized. And if the inverters are MSW there may not be any way to do it at all from a single battery bank.

                  Grid tie inverters synchronize themselves off the grid supply and so do not need to coordinate.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by green View Post
                    That question was already answered by SunEagle, and the answer is still no. If you need 220 output you buy an inverter that puts out 220. Simple.
                    I was actually trying to sound like Sunking..... not a bad imitation if you ask me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                      If and only if the two inverters are the same model from the same manufacturer and have instructions on how to connect them together to produce 240 volts, you can do it. There has to be coordination between the two inverters so that their output waveforms are synchronized. And if the inverters are MSW there may not be any way to do it at all from a single battery bank.

                      Grid tie inverters synchronize themselves off the grid supply and so do not need to coordinate.
                      I didn't know there was inverter technology that would allow two single phase units to synchronize yet be different phase angles. Pretty neat. I wonder what the Harmonic Voltage distortion looks like on the output.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                        I didn't know there was inverter technology that would allow two single phase units to synchronize yet be different phase angles. Pretty neat. I wonder what the Harmonic Voltage distortion looks like on the output.
                        120/240 is not different phase angles (in a sense), just opposite polarity with a common neutral wire. That is why they often call it split-phase, or more commonly just Single Phase. There is no way to use those two lines to get vectors in any other directions.
                        Getting separate off-grid inverters to cooperate to produce three-phase is more difficult, but doable. I am not sure if any residential scale inverters offer that though.
                        For grid tie, where the synchronization comes from the grid, there is no problem getting split phase, or three phase, or even two phase if that is what you want.
                        Last edited by inetdog; 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM. Reason: Reword phase and line stuff.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                          120/240 is not different phase angles (in a sense), just opposite polarity with a common neutral wire. That is why they often call it split-phase. There is no way to use those two "phases" to get vectors in any other directions.
                          Getting separate off-grid inverters to cooperate to produce three-phase is more difficult, but doable. I am not sure if any residential scale inverters offer that though.
                          For grid tie, where the synchronization comes from the grid, there is no problem getting split phase, or three phase, or even two phase if that is what you want.
                          You are correct about it being split phase system. Just not thinking clearly tonight.

                          Would the two inverter system designed as a 3 phase be considered an open delta 3 phase system?

                          As for the split phase system it still seems there could be an issue if the polarity between the two inverters are not balanced close enough for the 220volt 1hp pump motor. There could be a heat build up which would incur losses and possibly water flow issues.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                            You are correct about it being split phase system.
                            It is Single Phase.
                            MSEE, PE

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                              You are correct about it being split phase system. Just not thinking clearly tonight.

                              Would the two inverter system designed as a 3 phase be considered an open delta 3 phase system?

                              As for the split phase system it still seems there could be an issue if the polarity between the two inverters are not balanced close enough for the 220volt 1hp pump motor. There could be a heat build up which would incur losses and possibly water flow issues.
                              As long as the two inverters can each produce up to the full current required by the pump, they should be OK. There is nothing that requires a particular current output from either inverter.
                              If (since) there is no neutral to the pump, there can be no current imbalance.

                              The three phase inverter setup could be either wye or full delta with three inverters. I would have to think for awhile about trying to do an open delta with only two inverters, although I suppose it could work. For grid tie, open delta would be fine, as long as POCO does not penalize you for the imbalance.
                              Last edited by inetdog; 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM. Reason: "(since)". thank you Dereck.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X