X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by -robw-

Not to be rude but 48v could not burn up butter.
    I wouldn't place a wrench between the terminals of a 12volt battery.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Actually, in a bathtub, you can get a pretty bad shock from 48V. Once the water has reduced your skin resistance, 48V can be down right nasty. When dry, it's pretty safe to touch.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Salts
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2019

Not to be rude but 48v could not burn up butter.
        Have you ever shorted the terminals of a 12 volt car battery with a wire or a wrench?

If you use a 12 volt switch on a 48 volt system, it will probably work for a while if you're using it in a very low power application. It won't be safe, but I'm guessing it would work, for a while anyhow. When it stops working, it might stop working because the contacts welded themselves shut and you will be unable to open the switch.. or it might stop working because the contacts have been corroded away over time because they're not rated for the higher voltage and they stop making a connection.

Unlike plumbing stuff where you can mop up and dry the water, electrical mistakes are not always very forgiving as they tend to either kill you or start fires.

Are you sure you want to ride that train?

Comment

• Salts
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Actually, in a bathtub, you can get a pretty bad shock from 48V. Once the water has reduced your skin resistance, 48V can be down right nasty. When dry, it's pretty safe to touch.
          Or add some salt to the water...

Comment

• -robw-
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

I wouldn't place a wrench between the terminals of a 12volt battery.
            Amps

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

Amps
              It takes amps to produce power, along with the volts. If no amps flow, the butter will not melt.

Comment

• -robw-
                • Sep 2019

I work telecom and pots 100+ ring volts. Even in rain I don't care. Feel it, sure, but it's more an inconvenience. How 2 1/4 inch contacts made to handle 300+ amps can't handle it remains unanswered.

Comment

• -robw-
                  • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Salts

Have you ever shorted the terminals of a 12 volt car battery with a wire or a wrench?

If you use a 12 volt switch on a 48 volt system, it will probably work for a while if you're using it in a very low power application. It won't be safe, but I'm guessing it would work, for a while anyhow. When it stops working, it might stop working because the contacts welded themselves shut and you will be unable to open the switch.. or it might stop working because the contacts have been corroded away over time because they're not rated for the higher voltage and they stop making a connection.

Unlike plumbing stuff where you can mop up and dry the water, electrical mistakes are not always very forgiving as they tend to either kill you or start fires.

Are you sure you want to ride that train?
                  Amps

Comment

• -robw-
                    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by sdold
                    It takes amps to produce power, along with the volts. If no amps flow, the butter will not melt.
                    Never tried it but I assume this is correct. So, if 300 amps x 24 v will work with this particular switch, why won't 50 amps x 48 v.? It's true, but it makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Never tried it but I assume this is correct. So, if 300 amps x 24 v will work with this particular switch, why won't 50 amps x 48 v.? It's true, but it makes no sense to me.
                      The higher voltage sustains an arc more than lower voltage. The arc damages the contacts. With an MC4 connector, the damage to the plated contacts is instantaneous and a connector mated or demated in a powered circuit, is ruined.

With heavier contacts, there is still damage, but not as apparent on the first couple of cycles.

We're telling you there is a difference and you should not do it. But we're not inspecting you and you are going to do whatever you want, regardless what we advise you.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• -robw-
                        • Sep 2019

The higher voltage sustains an arc more than lower voltage. The arc damages the contacts. With an MC4 connector, the damage to the plated contacts is instantaneous and a connector mated or demated in a powered circuit, is ruined.

With heavier contacts, there is still damage, but not as apparent on the first couple of cycles.
                        As hard as it for me to comprehend 48v doing any damage to plate steel, you have described the result perfectly. It would pass energy for an hour or so, and then just stop.

I guess your explanation is why the following 2 ANL's have different surfaces. A 12 and 60 volt ANL:
                        12.jpg60v.jpg
                        Last edited by -robw-; 10-03-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

As hard as it for me to comprehend 48v doing any damage to plate steel, you have described the result perfectly. It would pass energy for an hour or so, and then just stop.
                          well here is 24V doing some welding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5oLPLUzrM
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• neweclipse
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

How 2 1/4 inch contacts made to handle 300+ amps can't handle it remains unanswered.
                            We have tried very hard here...You are talking apples to oranges...you may as well give up...you see what you want and ignore what your mind is incapable of understanding...give up!

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Amps
                              It still comes down to "resistance". Low resistance can cause a burn even in a 48V circuit.

Again do what you want but don't say we didn't warn you that using a low voltage rated switch on a higher voltage circuit is not safe.

Comment

• Salts
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

well here is 24V doing some welding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5oLPLUzrM
                                I have a Miller 251 MIG welder and I usually set it for around 18 to 19 volts for 1/4 inch plate. I might jack it up to 21 for 1/2 inch plate.

I'm 100% confident when I say it WILL melt butter.

Comment

Working...