Last questions before fulfilling the dream !

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opela
    • Jun 2019

Last questions before fulfilling the dream !

Hi everyone !!!

I want to start with a short disclaimer: I have 0% former knowledge at electricity and all of this system was designed thanks to this forum, youtube videos and blogs (my questions might sound a bit ridiculous to some of you but please be gentle with me)

I am travelling abroad and purchased a small station car in order to travel more freely, right now I am very close to finish makeover of it into a small "home"
    the system is very small, it is only for the need of charging my computer, drone, camera batteries and 1 lamp.

My Equipment so far

PV: 100W, 18.1V 5.52A
    |
    CC: 10A
    |
    Battery: 12V 65AH
    |
    Inverter: 400W

*Set of cables which I got with the solar panel - "TOP CABLE TOPSOLAR" 2mm/12AWG/3.30 mm2
    *Distance from PV to CC - 5m/16.40ft
    *Distance from CC/INVERTER to BATTERY - 30cm/1ft

Questions:

1. cable diameter/AWG:

-Between the PV to CC this cable seems suitable (with 2% Voltage drop)
    -Can I use the same cable between the CC to the battery although calculations shows that 17AWG is needed ? (will I have major lost of power?)

2.Breaker between PV to CC:
    -Where the breaker should be located? close to the PV or CC?
    -Should I install a breaker only on the + cable or on the - as well?
    -Can the breaker serve as safety switch as well for turning the system off/on? (if not and you recommend adding an extra circuit breaker please tell me where to place it)

3.Breaker/Fuse between CC to Battery:
    - is there a special recommendation to use a fuse or I can use a breaker for this part?
    -Can the breaker serve as safety switch as well for turning the system off/on?

4.Is there a big difference and yield lost by connecting a simple 110V light socket to one of the inverter plugs or should I definitely wire it with a fuse to the CC ?

hope I can find some answers here because I don't know any one with knowledge in that field, thank you a lot for reading !

• Mike90250
    • May 2009

I think your system is too small, and that it can effectively serve only 1 of the purposes you desire.

> t is only for the need of charging my computer, drone, camera batteries and 1 lamp

laptop is roughly 100w,
    drone charger is likely 50W
    camera I'll guess 20w
    lamp I'll guess at 20W LED
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Opela
      • Jun 2019

Hi there Mike !

unfortunately I do not have more space on my station or budget to increase the system, but here are a few points that make it manageable:

*My laptop deliver around 8 hours of function with a 2 hours charge (45W) + I do not use it every day
      *I use my drone really seldom and my Camera once a day or too

for the reasons above (space/budget/actual use) I cannot increase the system..

I would love to hear what you have to say for my questions:

1. cable diameter/AWG:
      -Can I use the same cable between the CC to the battery although calculations shows that 17AWG is needed ? (will I have major lost of power?)

-Can the breaker serve as safety switch as well for turning the system off/on? (if not and you recommend adding an extra circuit breaker please tell me where to place it)

- is there a special recommendation to use a fuse or I can use a breaker for this part?

4.Is there a big difference and yield lost by connecting a simple 110V light socket to one of the inverter plugs or should I definitely wire it with a fuse to the CC ?
      Thank you !

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Opela

Questions:

1. cable diameter/AWG:

17ga seems to be an ununusual size, I'd use at least 14ga, which is safe at 10Amps (spec'd for 15A)

The breaker is a handy switch to disengage the PV from the controller. 10A is good with 14ga wire

again, a breaker is a handy way to disconnect, few fuse holders are both touch-safe AND circuit interrupt rated,

Is your inverter pure sine wave or mod sine wave ? If the inverter has outlets, they are already protected internally (for overload) but they may not protect against shock

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• nwdiver
          Solar Fanatic
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Opela
          Hi everyone !!!

I want to start with a short disclaimer: I have 0% former knowledge at electricity and all of this system was designed thanks to this forum, youtube videos and blogs (my questions might sound a bit ridiculous to some of you but please be gentle with me)

I am travelling abroad and purchased a small station car in order to travel more freely, right now I am very close to finish makeover of it into a small "home"
          the system is very small, it is only for the need of charging my computer, drone, camera batteries and 1 lamp.

My Equipment so far

PV: 100W, 18.1V 5.52A
          |
          CC: 10A
          |
          Battery: 12V 65AH
          |
          Inverter: 400W

*Set of cables which I got with the solar panel - "TOP CABLE TOPSOLAR" 2mm/12AWG/3.30 mm2
          *Distance from PV to CC - 5m/16.40ft
          *Distance from CC/INVERTER to BATTERY - 30cm/1ft

Questions:

1. cable diameter/AWG:

hope I can find some answers here because I don't know any one with knowledge in that field, thank you a lot for reading !
          How much are you planning to spend on this? You're probably better off just buying a small battery inverter and 100w solar panel on amazon. It will do everything you want, no fussing over components and it's in a compact, durable package...

Comment

• NochiLife
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by nwdiver

How much are you planning to spend on this? You're probably better off just buying a small battery inverter and 100w solar panel on amazon. It will do everything you want, no fussing over components and it's in a compact, durable package...

What, solar panels at $2.14/watt?? I called around earlier this year, and the HIGHEST price I got from a solar installer (as a DIYer looking to purchase a panel, be it brand-new, overstock, mismatch, etc.) was $0.80/watt. I can buy a brand-new JinKo Eagle 310W PERC MONO solar panel for $176 (=$0.57/watt), though I do have to drive an hour to pick it up.
            And 100W is almost NOTHING when it comes to solar. In wintertime cloudy weather, it'll be producing about 10W, which isn't very funny.

The "generator" unit is surprisingly decent, though it only has a 12v, 19AH battery. OP has a 12v, 65AH battery.

Comment

Working...