Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taboo Solar Panel Grounding

Hello All,
    I have a question that I would like recommendations/suggestions. I have a transformerless 8k solark inverter with 16 panels mounted on the roof. I am trying to figure out the grounding on panels before I have the inspection done. The manual says to attach the panels to the homes ground via 12 awg, which doesnt make sense to me as lightning would enter the home if panels are struck. With all the reading I have done it seems I maybe possibly could should put a 2nd rod in for the panels. I also have read and watched a video about how you shouldnt put a second rod in. The reading I have done on instances where people used a second rod they then bonded it with their panels rod via a direct connection of 6awg. I don't really have that option as the inverter/panels are on the opposite side of the house that has the utility/grounding rod. I attached the schematic I worked with.
    Attached Files

By code you can do it either way. But if you chose to run a down conductor to a rod, you must bond that rod to the AC Service ground. You CANNOT HAVE ISOLATED GROUNDS. IT MUST BE A COMMON Ground Electrode System. Take your pick.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      By code you can do it either way. But if you chose to run a down conductor to a rod, you must bond that rod to the AC Service ground. You CANNOT HAVE ISOLATED GROUNDS. IT MUST BE A COMMON Ground Electrode System. Take your pick.
      Can it be bonded through the house wiring or does it have to be directly bonded to the rod?

Comment

Perhaps I did not explain clearly, my bad.There are two ways to bond the panels.

1. Is to bond the panels with and Equipment Grounding Conductor or EGC that runs with the panels circuit conductors to the Inverter that are ran back inside.Sounds like that is what you are trying to avoid. The EGC runs back to your breaker panel.

2. Treat the panels as Air Terminals. You would bond a conductor to the panels and run straight to dirt outside your house to a Ground Rod. That ground rod must be bonded to the AC Service Ground by digging a trench around to the AC Service Ground and bonding it to the AC Service Ground. Rod(s) so as to make a common Ground Electrode.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you. Guess it is through the house.

Comment

Working...
          X