Looking Lansing, Michigan area installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Lansing, Michigan area installer

I am looking to find either a small company/distributor with hands on experience for help in solar panel installation.
    Please PM me for details.

I am not interested in big companies quotes of $20k for 7 kW system...

Hello PLP, well as there are no PM's on this site, I would recommend you go to https://www.solarreviews.com/ and search for installers who work in your zip code that should get you a bunch to look at, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by PLP View Post

I am not interested in big companies quotes of $20k for 7 kW system...
      National average is $3/w so 7kw would be around $21k
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

National average is $3/w so 7kw would be around $21k
        Well, the average is nothing more, but average that is composed of one high number and one low number. Hence, I am looking for the low one here.
        I was quoted 16k for 4kW system. That is your average here on the top end.
        Also, I was quoted 17k for 7kW system for a different company... Hence, I would love to get more quotes and installers in to have better feel.

Finally - I'd love to do the most of the install myself to save $$$, but this cannot be done with a large firm.
        Being civil/chemical engineer I know a lot about the systems, yet expertise and oversight would help.

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        Hello PLP, well as there are no PM's on this site, I would recommend you go to https://www.solarreviews.com/ and search for installers who work in your zip code that should get you a bunch to look at, cheers
        I looked there already. I wanted to ask here anyway.
        I hope that is OK.

I was not aware of no-PM. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PLP View Post
          Finally - I'd love to do the most of the install myself to save $$$, but this cannot be done with a large firm.
          Being civil/chemical engineer I know a lot about the systems, yet expertise and oversight would help.
          Not that you can't learn but frankly we here and on many other channels hear from XX Engineer claiming they know lots about solar but their statements indicated that they know very little about the NEC codes and safe installation practices.

I would caution against the "I am an engineer" hubris. If you can go into it expecting that you know nothing about the subject you will likely have a better result with a self install.
          self installs are very possible but there is a lot of information on the internet about how to do solar that is not only wrong but unsafe.

The best thing you can do is get someone qualified to make the design set and permit pack for you. You then at least know you are working from a safe and code compliant design.
          I would encourage you to work towards NEC 2017 code even if your area does not require it (most do now).
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I am not boasting about my education level. Do not get me wrong.
            I also deal with some folks who know it all, so I completely understand your point.

Not that you can't learn but frankly we here and on many other channels hear from XX Engineer claiming they know lots about solar but their statements indicated that they know very little about the NEC codes and safe installation practices.

I would caution against the "I am an engineer" hubris. If you can go into it expecting that you know nothing about the subject you will likely have a better result with a self install.
            self installs are very possible but there is a lot of information on the internet about how to do solar that is not only wrong but unsafe.
            I agree, I know very little about the building code as I barely deal with it.
            By education I am civil/chemical engineer, but by trade I specialize in mass spectroscopy... so tiny parts engineering.
            I have good understanding of the panels and overall physics/chemistry.
            And if the install was on the ground I would do that. But the roof is a bit too high for me and not sure how the roof would hold it.

On the other hand - you do not need PhD in quantum physics to complete a good install. You just need to have some basic knowledge and know regulations (i.e. the code), to which I do not have access.

Nor I have tools to securely sit on the roof. Not now, at least.

The best thing you can do is get someone qualified to make the design set and permit pack for you. You then at least know you are working from a safe and code compliant design.
            I would encourage you to work towards NEC 2017 code even if your area does not require it (most do now).

And that is I am looking for.

Comment

A ground mount is far more friendly to DIY. One of 45 reasons I use them. It can be a more
              optimum design, but may cost more anyway. I read panels are only 25% of the cost of a PV
              system, most of the engineering is in the rest. Getting something to work today is one thing,
              making it safe and maintainable is another. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
              X