X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emartin00
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Ice in Conduit

About a year and a half ago I installed a 6kW system on my parents house using a SolarEdge SE6000A inverter. Back in December the inverter quit working; it appeared to be a failed power supply, as it wasn't getting power anywhere but at the input terminals. After a bit of arguing, SolarEdge sent out a new inverter.
    We decided to move it from the north side of the house, next to the electric meter, down to the basement next to the service panel. To do this, my dad put in a 6x6 outdoor junction box where the inverter used to be, then just used the existing conduit that ran into the basement.
    Fast forward another few weeks and I noticed the inverter had quit producing power again. After checking the troubleshooting steps it appeared there was an isolation fault between the inverter and the first optimizer. I figured one of the wire nuts may have a bad connection in the junction box, so I had my dad pull the cover and check them all. It turned out that when installing the box, he jostled loose one of the conduit joints about 15 feet up, and the conduit filled with water during a rain storm. Now being winter, it's a solid tube of ice.

I quit digging when we discovered that, assuming the ice must be causing the fault.
    My question is, do you think the ice damaged the wire enough that I'll have to replace it? It's standard THWN wire. Obviously I'll need to wait for it to thaw out first, which hopefully will be in the next week or so.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I doubt insulated wire, frozen into ice would be damaged. If water got into the end of the insulation and wicked up into the strands, then that wire will likely fail in a couple years from green corrosion ( wet copper)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by emartin00
      I quit digging when we discovered that, assuming the ice must be causing the fault.
      My question is, do you think the ice damaged the wire enough that I'll have to replace it? It's standard THWN wire. Obviously I'll need to wait for it to thaw out first, which hopefully will be in the next week or so.
      THWN is rated for WET Locations and the insulation being wet or frozen would not likely cause a fault. However if you have a Junction box with splices like wirenuts that are wet will cause a fault.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• NewBostonConst
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2018

You could unhook both ends and do a resistance check on the wires. Check between each other and to ground. Can also us a long piece of wire to check the full length of each wire is continuous in the conduit.

I agree with Mike's assessment. Ice no problem but a cut could be.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NewBostonConst
          You could unhook both ends and do a resistance check
          on the wires. Check between each other and to ground. Can also us a long piece of wire to check
          the full length of each wire is continuous in the conduit.
          I do not think a typical DVM with 3V battery can do an adequate resistance test. I would check
          it for leakage at something like 200VDC. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bcroe
            I do not think a typical DVM with 3V battery can do an adequate resistance test. I would check
            it for leakage at something like 200VDC. Bruce Roe
            Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. It takes a high voltage ohm meter like a Megger.

Last edited by Sunking; 03-06-2019, 11:20 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...