What is Caution Solar Circuit wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

i just checked the wire in question and it has Cat 5E printed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
      Haha foo1bar, somebody up thread already figured it out. The blue cable is Cat5 for communications and the black wire is 120v to power the data upload device.
      I'm not convinced that the black wire is 220V power for the PVS5x

The PDF linked to upthread shows the 120V/220V connection being between the PVS5x and the service panel. The black wire in the picture doesn't look like what I'd expect for carrying power. If it has 220V it's likely connected to a 15A (or larger) breaker. If it is connected to a 15A or larger breaker, it should have 14AWG wires. That black wire doesn't look large enough to have properly sized wires.

My guess would be the cable has "CAT5" written on it, and is the comunication cable for the installer computer.
      That or it's one of the RS485 communication cables

It's also possible that it is a 4-wire cable sized appropriately for 0.5 amp (or less), and there's some inline fuses in the service panel.
      Or even that it's sized for 0.5A, but there's no fuses (which wouldn't be proper - but doesn't mean it couldn't have been done that way.

I think it was suggested that the wire could be 1 of 3 (or 4) providing power to the PVS5x - That'd be closer to the right size of wire, but would mean that separate individual wires were connecting the PVS5x to the service panel. Which wouldn't be appropriate unless those wires were enclosed inside conduit. (And still wouldn't be appropriate for the RG6 and CAT5 to be in the same box as the 220V wires. Communication wires like RG6 and CAT5 should be physically separate from 110V/220V wires (either separate boxes or physically separated by a divider if it's a single box.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

I'm not convinced that the black wire is 220V power for the PVS5x
        You could be right. I thought the issue was resolved but I realize we never heard back from the original poster.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Sorry. I guess my post got lost up there.

Hi All,

Comment

Originally posted by Dearjohn03 View Post
            If it isn't hooked up to your internet router, then it's probably the cable for the "installer computer"

To be completely sure you'd have to look at where it's terminated.

In any case, I think your original concern was the "Caution Solar Circuit" label on it.
            Since it's CAT5E cable, it is not a solar circuit.
            Most likely the installer had that sticker handy and used that to keep the wire bundled up rather than having it sprawl all over once he let go.

Comment

Okay then, Dearjohn03 you can put your circuit tester away and take off the protective clothing.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
              X