Weird Xantrex problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Xantrex problem

I'm getting frustrated with a problem old Xantrex installation that the Schnieder service people have failed to solve so am going to deal with the sentiment by posting the experience here....
    This pair of inverters (GT2.8 and GT5.0) was installed in 2009 and has had a whole series of trouble over the years with the smaller unit dropping out do to AC voltage faults. Yes, the grid voltage runs kind of high in this neighborhood - typically about 248Vac but the highest I've ever observed is 251Vac. The smaller inverter was replaced under warranty in 2014 and then again in 2015. Last week we just got it back from Schnieder after they advised us to send it in for repair as they no longer have any replacement units. This was because we were able to document an AC voltage of 249 on the internal terminals while it was reporting 255 on the display. After reinstalling the unit - of course it won't start and gives the AC voltage fault error right off. At least the displayed voltage now matches the measured voltage though! Checked all the connections, won't work. Pulled out the factory recall cap circuit from 2012 and then it works! Put the cap circuit back in, still works and ran several hours. Next day, failing again. All this time, the larger unit right next to it runs without a hitch. Never a problem with it. They are connected together with the usual AC combiner load panel, and yes - we've tried replacing those breakers just to make sure. The tech support people assure me that they "thoroughly" tested the unit and could not find anything wrong. Put a o-scope on the AC and the waveform looks fine. We had the utility come out and of course, they can find anything wrong with power quality. After the 2015 episode, we went through a bunch of hassle to get utility permission to widen the input voltage tolerance parameters on this unit. This action seemed to have helped as we had no more faults until recently. The parameters probably got reset to factory defaults during servicing and now the Schnieder techs know nothing about this option.
    People wonder why I get insanely focused on inverter reliability.... I think this unit is going into the crapper and getting replaced by a good ol SunnyBoy.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Originally posted by solarix View Post
    I'm getting frustrated with a problem old Xantrex installation that the Schnieder service people have failed to solve so am going to deal with the sentiment by posting the experience here....
    This pair of inverters (GT2.8 and GT5.0) was installed in 2009 and has had a whole series of trouble over the years with the smaller unit dropping out do to AC voltage faults. Yes, the grid voltage runs kind of high in this neighborhood - typically about 248Vac but the highest I've ever observed is 251Vac. The smaller inverter was replaced under warranty in 2014 and then again in 2015. Last week we just got it back from Schnieder after they advised us to send it in for repair as they no longer have any replacement units. This was because we were able to document an AC voltage of 249 on the internal terminals while it was reporting 255 on the display. After reinstalling the unit - of course it won't start and gives the AC voltage fault error right off. At least the displayed voltage now matches the measured voltage though! Checked all the connections, won't work. Pulled out the factory recall cap circuit from 2012 and then it works! Put the cap circuit back in, still works and ran several hours. Next day, failing again. All this time, the larger unit right next to it runs without a hitch. Never a problem with it. They are connected together with the usual AC combiner load panel, and yes - we've tried replacing those breakers just to make sure. The tech support people assure me that they "thoroughly" tested the unit and could not find anything wrong. Put a o-scope on the AC and the waveform looks fine. We had the utility come out and of course, they can find anything wrong with power quality. After the 2015 episode, we went through a bunch of hassle to get utility permission to widen the input voltage tolerance parameters on this unit. This action seemed to have helped as we had no more faults until recently. The parameters probably got reset to factory defaults during servicing and now the Schnieder techs know nothing about this option.
    People wonder why I get insanely focused on inverter reliability.... I think this unit is going into the crapper and getting replaced by a good ol SunnyBoy.
    PITA. I'd give up on the smaller unit. Seems not worth the time/hassle and lost confidence in the unit at this point. Take a deep breath, walk away from the problem for a bit and enjoy the weekend.

Comment

Oh, I've already written this unit off. I just wanted to see if any Schnieder people want to try and rescue the situation, and to share why you want to choose an inverter brand based on three criteria:
      reliability, reliability, reliability.....

Comment

Yes, the grid voltage runs kind of high in this neighborhood - typically about 248Vac but the highest I've ever observed is 251Vac. .
        That is not high, that is perfect. NESC Utility service tolerance is +/- 10% and single phase service is 250/125. Your voltage varies less than 0.8% and voltage is dead on spec. The days of 220/110 and 240/120 are long gone decades ago.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          That is not high, that is perfect. NESC Utility service tolerance is +/- 10% and single phase service is 250/125. Your voltage varies less than 0.8% and voltage is dead on spec. The days of 220/110 and 240/120 are long gone decades ago.
          I don't disagree, but all the inverter spec sheets use 211 to 264Vac as the allowable range. I'd say 242 to 245 is what I'm used to seeing in general. Why this Xantrex pos is having faults when the AC is nowhere close to the AC voltage limits is what I'd like to know.

Comment

I don't disagree, but all the inverter spec sheets use 211 to 264Vac as the allowable range. I'd say 242 to 245 is what I'm used to seeing in general. Why this Xantrex pos is having faults when the AC is nowhere close to the AC voltage limits is what I'd like to know.
            Look you are a train driver just like me. All that means is the Inverter is a piss poor design. Don't you think if you made a Interactive Inverter it should be designed to work under utility spec? That would be 225 to 275 volts? Example any desktop computer power supply can work from 80 to 190 VAC input. Flip its switch for 250 and wil work from 190 to 300 VAC.

They both use the Switch Mode converters.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X