X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elreed90
    • Dec 2017

Solar / battery / charge controller SOS

A caveman needs help!

So I have a van, with 200w up top and two Trojan 6 volt batters and a 30amp MPPT controller. I had it all set up and working fine (just with a fan to start), and upon having to take it all apart to rebuild boxes and whatnot I got the lights installed everything seemed to work BUT the battery was starting to overcharge, from there I disconnect it and was just running the lights and fan off the battery. The controller works fine with the panels and battery's but as soon as I add the load it gets weird on me... any ideas?

When the load is connected to the charge controller and the meter says around 13v with 0amp coming in from the panel and the same for the battery... and then it slowly starts to charge it too much from there??? Halp!

That at being said I'm a monkey working on a spaceship so things may be completely reversed....

thanks!
    Last edited by elreed90; 12-14-2017, 06:14 PM.
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by elreed90
    A caveman needs help! So I have a van, with 200w up top and two Trojan 6 volt batters and a 30amp MPPT controller. I had it all set up and working fine (just with a fan to start), and upon having to take it all apart to rebuild boxes and whatnot I got the lights installed everything seemed to work BUT the battery was starting to overcharge,
    You know this battery is overcharging because ???

from there I disconnect it
    with 'it' being the panels, or the controller, or something else?

The controller works fine with the panels and battery's but as soon as I add the load it gets weird on me... any ideas? When the load is connected to the charge controller and the meter says around 13v with 0amp coming in from the panel and the same for the battery...
    And this 'meter' is a multimeter, some installed meter, the display on the charge controller? If the latter, are you using the load terminals of the controller?

and then it slowly starts to charge it too much from there??? Halp! That at being said I'm a monkey working on a spaceship so things may be completely reversed.... thanks!
    You should endeavor to describe things in a completely non-reversed manner if you expect a non-reversed answer.

Comment

• elreed90
      • Dec 2017

Sorry, the multimeter is attached to the charge controller. Giving me the Battery OVD warning and the battery is getting up to 16/17V (and I can hear it bubbling and burning off sulfer) - that's when everything is "properly" hooked up. As soon as I disconnect the load from the charge controller everything goes back to normal. As in the battery and the solar panel and the charge controller are one happy family. I feel the load is screwing with it somehow?

Trying to upload pictures but losing...

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Just Guessing here.
        Generally, the LOAD connections on a controller are for tiny loads, like an LED night light. hardly ever any load larger then the controller is rated for charging, a 10A controller can only control a 10A load.
        If the Load function has been overloaded and burned out, the rest of the controller could be damaged too. You may need a new controller.

Are you connecting in the right sequence? Connect the battery to the controller first, to let it boot up. Then after a minute, connect the solar. Most loads connect directly to the battery via a fuse or a breakout box.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by elreed90
          A caveman needs help! When the load is connected to the charge controller and the meter says around 13v with 0amp coming in from the panel and the same for the battery... and then it slowly starts to charge it too much from there??? Halp!
          Are you connected to the LOAD TERMINAL of the Controller? Stop doing that.

What are you calling over charged? During the day you should the battery voltage go up to around 14.5 to 15 volts.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...