X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

Fire setback exemption example

Did my first exemption to the NEC fire setback rule. We don't have the rule (yet) where I generally work, but we did take a job in a neighboring county (in Arizona) that just implemented it. This roof is a high end home with lots of sq ft but (of course) its chopped up for architectural reasons so that the layout is pretty tight. I tracked down the local fire inspector and explained the situation to him - I think this was new to him as well. He realized the code rule was a crude attempt to handle a wide range of roofs and was willing to exempt this one. And he did say his daughter was interested in doing solar in a remote location and was unable to get any installers interested in going out there - so I volunteered to at least look into it for him.....
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

It's good to hear stories of the building inspectors working with people. I helped a friend in the SF Bay Area with an install that needed an exemption to the setback requirements, once he showed the proposal and pictures to the fire inspector, he agreed it wouldn't be a problem and signed it off. I love it when these guys are reasonable.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sdold
      It's good to hear stories of the building inspectors working with people. I helped a friend in the SF Bay Area with an install that needed an exemption to the setback requirements, once he showed the proposal and pictures to the fire inspector, he agreed it wouldn't be a problem and signed it off. I love it when these guys are reasonable.
      Having a great view from my property, my bride and I are involved with my fire district and work as fire lookouts (and pretty busy just now). A few years ago, I met with the supervisor in my fire district a couple of times to discuss fire setbacks. While she was very aware of solar setbacks, she also seems to have a lot of common sense. So, while she played the devil's advocate, and giving no ground on her commitment to safety, she was willing to look at each situation, particularly when I pointed out that county regs. and interpretation of setback requirements allowed for some leeway.
      Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...