Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdwats
    • Jul 2017

Illegal solar?

I've been told it is illegal to put solar panels in my fenced backyard when the entire thing is isolated from any house wiring, fused and grounded, and only uses an a.c. inverter to run tv and lights. I told the landlord what I was going to do and they said "cool". What is all the fuss? I even called the PUD and talked about grid tie and decided to not do it. They said ok. How am I breaking any laws with this little project?
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Gdwats
    I've been told it is illegal to put solar panels in my fenced backyard when the entire thing is isolated from any house wiring, fused and grounded, and only uses an a.c. inverter to run tv and lights. I told the landlord what I was going to do and they said "cool". What is all the fuss? I even called the PUD and talked about grid tie and decided to not do it. They said ok. How am I breaking any laws with this little project?
    The only thing that might be considered would be to make sure you have either a barrier or fencing around the solar panel and wiring so that no one can get a shock if they played with the wiring.

Of course your local codes may take exception to someone having an off grid system but if it follows the code then I can't see where they would have a problem.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 09-25-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

Local codes may require all electrical to follow the NEC and/or get permitted and pass an inspection. So depending on how you do it you could be breaking the law.

Comment

• Gdwats
        • Jul 2017

Ya I suppose I could get inspected, but it's basically a campground setup with protection. Not going to lose any sleep over it. My wife likes your name, she is a wolf advocate.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

If whoever told you that has the legal authority to enforce what they say, pay attention to them.

Comment

• Gdwats
            • Jul 2017

Good advice. Grid tie would be completely different beast.

Comment

• NEOH
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2010

You are very detailed (even biased towards) the "It is OK" type of statements.
              But you are very vague about the "Permit is required" type of statements.
              Your landlord does not have the authority to waive any electrical permit requirements.

"... What is all the fuss? ... "
              We don't know because your post states - everybody is OK with your plan.

" ... How am I breaking any laws with this little project? ..."
              WHO told you that you were breaking the law & WHICH law did they cite?

My inspector says, "If it is not attached to, and it does not penetrate the garage or the house, then it is not under his jurisdiction"

It appears that you are bringing AC wiring inside your house?
              That is a big issue.
              You need to discuss with your Electrical Inspector.

Comment

• Gdwats
                • Jul 2017

Thanks, and it was someone on here that said i was probably breaking laws, cant eemember who.
                Well no I'm not bringing a.c. wiring in the house, I'm bringing dc wiring in the house. It is wired to an a.c. inverter on the floor, where the tv and led lights plug in.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Thanks, and it was someone on here that said i was probably breaking laws, cant eemember who.
                  Well no I'm not bringing a.c. wiring in the house, I'm bringing dc wiring in the house. It is wired to an a.c. inverter on the floor, where the tv and led lights plug in.
                  You are supplying AC wiring inside your house. That makes it an Electrical Code issue and a safety issue that I am sure the building's insurance company would be concerned about.
                  That makes it the landlord's legitimate concern. If he choose not to make an issue of it, that still does not make it right. And bringing DC into the house is just as much of an issue (and with more rules) as AC wiring.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Gdwats
                    • Jul 2017

Great. I've got less into my setup than an inspection would cost. I have another call in to the PUD solar dept about this. Still awaiting return call. I may just scrap it all, will never come close to paying for itself due to prihibitive inpections and fees, and a tie in when I move. They have to pay what they charge for electricity here. Man, I used to be an advocate for clean solar energy, now i think i will advise others don't bother with it.
                    Last edited by Gdwats; 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog

You are supplying AC wiring inside your house. That makes it an Electrical Code issue and a safety issue that I am sure the building's insurance company would be concerned about.
                      That makes it the landlord's legitimate concern. If he choose not to make an issue of it, that still does not make it right. And bringing DC into the house is just as much of an issue (and with more rules) as AC wiring.
                      Wait. Are you saying that you can't safely run an extension cord to power an AC load from an inverter which gets it's power from a battery inside your home?

And how is that any different then running an extension cord from a generator outside to an AC load inside your house?

Comment

• Gdwats
                        • Jul 2017

I had the inverter outside, and ran an extension cord into the house for a while, but worried about inverter outside. Would it be better to put it back outside again in a box and use an a.c. extension cord? Everything is outside except the inverter at this point.

Comment

• NEOH
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2010

My inspector says, "If it is portable and nothing is attached to the building, then it is outside of his jurisdiction".
                          That is my guy, not necessarily what your guy will say.
                          examples:
                          a) Portable AC power from a battery = no permit
                          b) Portable AC generator = no permit
                          c) Portable AC power from PV Panels = no permit

He asked, "How are they getting the PV Power from outside to inside?"
                          Wires through a doorway = bad idea
                          Wires through an open window = bad idea

During an emergency then do what you must to survive,
                          but running wires through a door or window on a daily basis is not recommended.

Comment

• Gdwats
                            • Jul 2017

Thanks neon hydroxide. If one does not bring the power in through a door or a window, I suppose the only other option is to drill a hole in the building and then silicone it up. But then it wouldn't be considered portable. What a catch-22 this business is. Maybe I'll move my TV outside.

Comment

Working...