Am I on the right track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carv,

I want one of those! I tried to go through tire website but between my $hitty internet or their website, I couldn't find a price. I saw one on Amazon for around 180, does that sound right?

I started reading through your thread but when the bickering started, I had to stop. When I have a real internet connection and I can look read through it on a screen bigger than a cell phone, I will for sure. It sounds like our situation as far as requirements for a battery system are similar. I'm basically on an unwanted extended camping trip. I would like to have lights, cellphone charging, a small water pump and the ability to wash and dry clothes (propane dryer) would be huge! We can run the washer and dryer but not the pump at the same time so a little shuffling or cords is in order, I'll know more over the next week or two exactly what we can do. There is no way nor a desire to try to keep a refrigerator running because I don't want to be committed to keeping it cold. We ponied up and bought the most expensive ice chest in the world in the hopes that it'll keep ice longer than one night, which thankfully it does. If you have to live out of an ice chest, it only makes sense to buy the best one on the island... Right?

I appreciate the link and by the way I did skip to one of the last pages, your setup looks very nice. I will soon be relocating and making mine neat. I'm sure it's a good feeling to step back and look at the finished (I guess it's never really finished) product.

Comment

AZ, that's something else I'm going to have to read up on. As I said in a previous post, the DC stuff, CC's and the process of charging batteries in this manner is all new to me, my idea of charging a batter is plug in the charger and put it on overnight, good to go. I have a lot of learning to do... Thanks again for everything!

Comment

Good Morning!

So far so good on both the 12v and the 24v systems, I did, however, order another tracer CC for the 12v, the little Chinese one is junk.
        I have a couple of questions hopefully someone will be willing to answer. First, software for the Tracer CC, is there one that is better than another? I currently just have the panels laying on the back deck at about a 30 degree angle, my roof will soon be replaced if the insurance company will get on with it. I'd like to graph the efficiency now vs. roof mount.

Second question, I looked around on Google but never got a real answer... I have a DC motor from a treadmill I'm planning on making a small wind generator to supplement the solar. How should it be tied into the battery bank / charge controller, or do I need a separate CC for the wind generator? If it does need a separate CC, would a PWM CC play well with the wind or should it be MPPT as well.
        ​​​
        I started getting everything looking better yesterday evening, when I'm done I will post a picture.

Again, thank you all for your replies!

Comment

as long as you use the treadmill motor indoors, as it was designed for, it will usually generate fine. But you have to make it turn. Indoors.
          It has indoor grease, no sealed bearings, no weather proofing. First dewy morning, you will start getting rust inside the segments, and it will be dead soon, Wiind and rain, will kill it quickly. Don't even bother, unless you have a good source of motors.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Good evening, I am really new at this. Sorry for derailing the thread. I am open from hearing from the experts. I have a schneider 4048 inverter, schneider c40 pwm charger, 8 trace batteries and 3 260 panels. Thing is I just moved from a 24v system and used most of the wiring. I am using 6 awg from the charger to the inverter, is that adequate? What is the minimum wiring from the inverter to the house? 120 and what is recommended for when I want to connect the 240v? Was using the microwave and it seem like low voltage, could it be the 6mm wiring bridged with a 2.5mm from the inverter to the house? Final question, for now lol, the inverter has a charger and I thinking about wind in the future, can connecting the wind turbine to charger then a small inverter then connect the ac from that small inverter to the 4048 charger port make sense or is wise. How is the best way to include a wind turbine. Thanks all trying to learn

Comment

Working...
            X