Solar panel edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel edges

Hi, my name is Marianne and we are putting together what you call a hybrid system, I think. This may seem a silly question but here goes...my husband has 24 G.S. Solar Fujian panels a-Si and the thin rubbery like coating around the panels' edges is failing off. Does this mean the panels could fail due to moisture seepage? We bought the panels used with no frames (not sure if they need frames). So he's trying to figure out if that rubbery stuff needs repairing? And suggestions on mounting them with clamps, but something other than the rails we don't have.
    I know from browsing this forum that there a lot of creative people out there.

Also, and this question is from me (I have to word it right), how does one know wether your panels are rated for 12 or 24 volt, or can any panel go either way? All the info I've researched does NOT give me a straight answer.
    Thank you so much for this forum. So excited to be here?
    Last edited by Marianne; 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM.

Frameless module mid and end clamps Solar Panel 2 .jpgFrameless module mid and end clamps Solar Panel.jpg Not a lot of info online for these panels. If they are typical thin film frameless panels they would be dual glass panel construction. This type of panel requires special clips for mounting. Here's some info on them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Semi-Flexibl...YAAOSwUT5Zlk3A.
    Most likely the edge rubber peeling isn't a problem. Look over all the panels for signs of moisture intrusion entering from the edges. If you see any signs of intrusion can you get pictures of it?

Last edited by littleharbor; 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I will get pictures. And we have lots of the clamps but not the rail part. We have a very limited income otherwise we'd just get the $1,200+ stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
        I will get pictures. And we have lots of the clamps but not the rail part. We have a very limited income otherwise we'd just get the $1,200+ stuff.
        That is a large lot of hardware. Look around, the parts are available in single units so you buy what you need. The reason I posted that is so you can see what parts are available and what they look like. You can get creative with unistrut as racking to save on the cost but you do need that type of mid and end clamps for that type module.
        Last edited by littleharbor; 08-27-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Apparently I can't upload photos cuz it says they're too big. I'm using an iPhone 6. Idk

Comment

Here's screen shots I took of a video
            Attached Files

Comment

Hard to tell from the photos . As mentioned look for any moisture intrusion around the perimeter, and check with a digital volt meter for any irregular output. BTW are these high voltage modules?Are there data labels on the back? The reason I ask is many of the thin film modules are high voltage . That would require an expensive MPPT charge controller to step down the voltage to your battery voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
                ...Also, and this question is from me (I have to word it right), how does one know wether your panels are rated for 12 or 24 volt, or can any panel go either way? All the info I've researched does NOT give me a straight answer.
                Thank you so much for this forum. So excited to be here?
                What's the VMP of the panels? A 12V nominal panel will be ~18 VMP and a 24 will be ~36VMP. If you don't have specs on then then measure the VOC of the panels. 12v will be 20 to 24VOC and 24 would be twice as much.

If you use an MPPT controller then the panels can be used on either as long as they are wired to provide a high enough voltage.

Comment

The label doesn't give VMP but it does say PM 43W, VOC 63V, Isc 1.16A, PM 43W, Vm 47V, Im 0.92A tolerance on Pm +_ 5%
                  max system voltage 1000V

Comment

Looks like Vm 47v, is the Vmp. Open circuit voltage is 63 volts. they are 43 watt panels. That being said these are not in the standard 12 or 24 volt nominal range. If you are planning on using these in an off grid ,battery charging scenario. you will need an MPPT controller. To get any appreciable power from them you will need to parallel a number of strings which will require fusing or a combiner box. IMO you will have to spend more money on this extra hardware than these panels are worth. Solar panels are very cheap these days. If you plan on going ahead with a solar array and all the other expense of the balance of system parts you might as well start with fresh, new panels.
                    What exactly are you referring to when you say you are putting together a "hybrid system"?

Comment

We have 24 panels my husband was going to Patel four groups of. And we do have a combiner box already. And when I say hybrid, I mean diy with what we have. We have two sunny boy inverters 1800u and the 3000us (I believe the 3000 has a controller in it)
                      our other panels (10 total) are nano something 143V and a bit larger - I'll get the specs on those after the sun goes down.

Comment

A ha. Grid tie inverters. These need high voltage anyway. Typically in the 250 to 550 volt range. Have you inquired with your power company yet? They should have a list of approved solar panels you can use. Yours, being as obscure as they are may not be approved. I wouldn't spend any money or build anything until you find out what their requirements are.

Comment

The 1800u wants a max Voc of 400 V (output is only 120 Vac), and the 3000US wants a max Voc of 500 V (outputs 240 Vac), so you'll have to figure out which inverter you want to put these on and build the strings appropriately.

The CEC approved equipment list has a GS-Solar (Fujian) model GS-46SU that has specs very close to yours, so there is a chance they would be ok to use. Getting those inverters installed in an NEC compliant system might be tougher, since they don't offer the level of fault protection found in newer models and which is required in the latest code cycles.

Thin film panels aren't known for lasting very long, even when properly stored and used, so I'd be careful about investing too much into getting these working.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                          X