7.5KW system Almost Finished.. HELP WITH LABELS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murby View Post

Hahaha.. that's exactly what I was expecting.. just seems to me that paying $400 for three five minute visits is grossly excessive.
    Then call them back and ask for more invasion of your privacy.

On a more serious note, I'd be a bit concerned that no one was checking my work with no more than a hand wave. I think I did, and do, good engineering, but I and others I worked with were always more comfortable after other qualified engineers checked our work. Another set of eyes and brains never hurts. Any errors uncovered were a constant and invariable reminder that none of us is as smart as all of us.

While no one wants their design torn apart by those unqualified by their ignorance to comment, in one sense you paid for a safety check and it sounds like you might not have gotten your money's worth. More qualified eyes and brains on the product before startup never hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

While no one wants their design torn apart by those unqualified by their ignorance to comment, in one sense you paid for a safety check and it sounds like you might not have gotten your money's worth. More qualified eyes and brains on the product before startup never hurts.
      That is kind of my point... but as it turns out, the inspectors seem to have more confidence in me than in themselves... and judging by the flood of "that's really neat" questions, I do kind of understand why... Still, I paid $400 so I can answer their questions about how cool it is.... seems excessive to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post

That is kind of my point... but as it turns out, the inspectors seem to have more confidence in me than in themselves... and judging by the flood of "that's really neat" questions, I do kind of understand why... Still, I paid $400 so I can answer their questions about how cool it is.... seems excessive to say the least.
        So how much would be unexcessive ? What if you were an ignorant dolt who did sloppy work ? Per hr. charge for inspection services ?

Comment

So how much would be unexcessive ? What if you were an ignorant dolt who did sloppy work ? Per hr. charge for inspection services ?
          I think what OP is complaining about is he paid $400 and nobody seemed to looked through his plans at all. So if there was an idiot in his place he might just as well passed. I don't know easy solution to this- open AHJ status to multiple privately owned competing entities which would charge for their services?

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

I think what OP is complaining about is he paid $400 and nobody seemed to looked through his plans at all. So if there was an idiot in his place he might just as well passed. I don't know easy solution to this- open AHJ status to multiple privately owned competing entities which would charge for their services?
            He submitted the planns to get the permit. The looked through and checked things out at their office when he coudln't see them do it.
            $400 is on the higher side but I have seen even higher than that.
            mine was just $50 but each county can set their own.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I think $150 to $200 would have been fair.. Or better yet, make it a sliding scale.. No infractions = minimal charge of maybe $100 or something.. If they find lots of infractions and sloppy work, then the full $400..
              Of course, that could lead to some obvious problems... but I'm just venting that $400 was too darn much..

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

Well too, there was probably a fair amount of office work involved in plan checking that Murby may have not have seen, been aware of or considered. If the office went over it with more than due diligence, or even simply due diligence, that may have given the field folks (who, for all we and Murby know, could have been some of the same people) enough of a feel and confidence in Murby's work and design to help the on site go as smooth as crap through a goose.

Comment

Well too, there was probably a fair amount of office work involved in plan checking that Murby may have not have seen, been aware of or considered. If the office went over it with more than due diligence, or even simply due diligence, that may have given the field folks (who, for all we and Murby know, could have been some of the same people) enough of a feel and confidence in Murby's work and design to help the on site go as smooth as crap through a goose.
                  That is certainly possible.. I have no idea what they did at their offices..

Comment

Working...
                  X