Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Disconnect need to be grounded?

Hi folks,
    I'm running the 240vac feed lines from my solar array back to the breaker panel and ran into a question.

The utility company requires I install an AC disconnect within 5 feet of my utility meter. The conduit going to the disconnect is all PVC but the disconnect itself is a metal box attached to the brick on the home.

Does that disconnect need to be grounded? There's no ground lug or screw in it. Do I need to install one?

Thanks,

Yes, with exposed current carrying conductors, it needs to be grounded.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      Yes, with exposed current carrying conductors, it needs to be grounded.
      Darn it.. That means I have to go up to the next size conduit. I have a run of about 10 feet of 4 gauge wire (4 of them) and was going to shove it through a 1 inch pvc conduit.. Now I have to go to 1-1/4...

Thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post
        Darn it.. That means I have to go up to the next size conduit. I have a run of about 10 feet of 4 gauge wire (4 of them) and was going to shove it through a 1 inch pvc conduit.. Now I have to go to 1-1/4...
        You *might* be able to go with a smaller ground and that *might* allow you to do smaller size conduit.

Also there is the "nipple rule" - you can have a higher fill % in a nipple that is 24" or shorter.

Probably the AC disconnect has a spot where a ground screw is normally screwed in. Like a small raised part of the back with a hole pre-drilled.

Comment

It is required by code.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

Probably the AC disconnect has a spot where a ground screw is normally screwed in. Like a small raised part of the back with a hole pre-drilled.
            That's the odd part.. it doesn't have any of that. I had to drill and tap and install my own ground lug.

Comment

Working...
            X