Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Driver607
    • Jul 2017

Series and parallel

I need to know how to do a series an parallel and combining them in 1 inverter.here is what I got.sma 6000 us.I have 20 12v 100w panels with 6 315w 24v all in series.I have 4 24v 300 and 6 24v 315w panels that I would like to hook up in parallel and then hook it all together in the DC diconnect if any one has a scheme. Of how to do would be great
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Driver607
    I need to know how to do a series an parallel and combining them in 1 inverter.here is what I got.sma 6000 us.I have 20 12v 100w panels with 6 315w 24v all in series.I have 4 24v 300 and 6 24v 315w panels that I would like to hook up in parallel and then hook it all together in the DC diconnect if any one has a scheme. Of how to do would be great
    you need to provide other specs for those panels like Vmpp and Impp. Basically you're supposed to connect in series panels with close Impp and in parallel- the ones with close Vmpp. Connecting only few panels in parallel within the same string won't work as the remaining panels won't let double current to pass through. Can you make 2 separate stings: 20x12V + 4x24V and another: 12x24V as this would look more uniform than what you currently have. That inverter has additional independent mppt inputs to allow this configuration. Do you have any shading?

Comment

• Driver607
      • Jul 2017

Yes I have shading.so I should put the 12v panels in series with 4 24v then put the remaining panels in parallel to even everything out.the problem that I am having is I'm max out my volts to the inverter with the 20 12v panels and 4 24v panel hooked in series.
      Last edited by Driver607; 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Good luck.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• max2k
          • May 2015

Yes I have shading.so I should put the 12v panels in series with 4 24v then put the remaining panels in parallel to even everything out.the problem that I am having is I'm max out my volts to the inverter with the 20 12v panels and 4 24v panel hooked in series.
          but you were not maxed out with your original setup of 20x12V + 6x24V all connected in series? I think you need to get electricity 101 education before you continue your experiments. The power and voltage levels you're dealing with clearly exceed your knowledge so it is plain dangerous for you and possibly others.

Comment

• Driver607
            • Jul 2017

Here are the vmp an imp for each set of panels.10 12v 100w is 17.3 vmp an 5.78 imp.10 12v 100w 18v vmp an 5.55 imp.12 315w 36.6v vmp 8.61 vmp.4 300 36.6v

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I presume this is a DIY project of a grid tie system. Although the connection to the grid will probably need someone from the POCO or AHJ to approve it. Hopefully the OP has someone trained in electrical to make all of the connections per code and safe.

Comment

• Driver607
                • Jul 2017

All I want is for one of you experinsed people to tell me how to hook this up that will work safely unfortunately electrician's in my area do not want to deal with solar and only work mon.thu Friday which are the days I'm working and not home so alittle help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

All I want is for one of you experinsed people to tell me how to hook this up that will work safely unfortunately electrician's in my area do not want to deal with solar and only work mon.thu Friday which are the days I'm working and not home so alittle help would be greatly appreciated.
                  The information you may get from this forum should be helpful but in no way will I help someone install a solar pv system when they are trying to do it themselves and have no electrical experience or knowledge of the NEC and local codes.

Sorry but unless you plan on getting the installation performed properly and safely I will not condone your work.

Comment

• max2k
                    • May 2015

what you're trying to do is some custom setup which requires certain level of knowledge to be safe. PV in general and especially in your case is not plug-n-play and carries significant amount of risk. Electricians in your area don't want to deal with it for a reason- when things go wrong they might end up being responsible. If you insist on DIY I strongly advise to take a break, improve your electrical knowledge first and then return back to your project. If this sounds too much may be you could consider spending your energy elsewhere as the 'payback' from PV is not that high to risk this much. I'm afraid no shortcut is available.

Consider situation that you get instructions in the form 'connect this to that', follow through, make mistake or two along the way due to not understanding what you were actually doing and get someone killed. At that point who would you consider responsible for the outcome? Very unlikely yourself as you were 'following instructions'.

I helped many ppl to fix their car's electrical problems over Internet and my 'score' was less than 30% with inexperienced individuals- they simply were doing strange things no matter what. In those cases the 'equipment' was standard and 12V only. In PV area probability of success would be close to 0 in such cases with much more serious consequences.

You can befriend some electrician and let him help you out or switch your interest to 12-24V systems where you can still burn house down but at least it will be much harder to get killed.
                    Last edited by max2k; 07-16-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Grid tie systems require high voltage DC electricity and a number of potentially hazardous connections to be made. There are many ways this can be dangerous, if not lethal
                      The power company you are trying to tie into has regulations that must be followed to do this legally, some for their protection, others for your protection.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

All I want is for one of you experinsed people to tell me how to hook this up that will work safely unfortunately electrician's in my area do not want to deal with solar and only work mon.thu Friday which are the days I'm working and not home so a little help would be greatly appreciated.
                        No one can help you for two reasons:

1. Your equipment is incompatible.
                        2. You lack any experience or training which cannot be taught on a forum.

No electrician will help you either because the equipment is incompatible. Plus there is no possible way to have it inspected and connected to the grid. You are SOL.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...