Planning a 8.58 kW grid tie system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screenshot 2017-10-17 at 9.56.01 PM.png
    Got sign off today from the AHJ. Actually turned the system on this past Saturday in the afternoon. Sunday was pretty much a wash out only generating 5 kWh for the day. Today was nice and clear as was yesterday with a few clouds. Made right around 47 kWh each day. The shutdown was for the inspection today. Underestimated the neighbors tree in the evening but I don't think it hurts it too much. Thanks for all the input.

Only thing I couldn't do myself is thread some of the 1 1/2" pipe in the rack and bend the 1 1/2" conduit for the basement.

Comment

Screenshot 2017-11-22 at 7.17.48 PM.png
      A couple more days I'll be past 1 MWh.

Comment

Hello, I'm planning exactly the same set of panels for the Q.cells in the high desert of yucca valley, ca. I don't have a shade problem. I am considering to mount on top of a patio structure to create shade on the west side of my home. I have yet to build the structure. I considered using two SMA SB5000-US-12 (in case one inverter goes down). All panels will be mounted at 180 degrees facing at 19 degrees and 6" offset. The calculation shows a generation of 14,596 Kw annually. Do you see any issues with this set up? Can you help?

Comment

Originally posted by Out in the sticks View Post
          Hello, I'm planning exactly the same set of panels for the Q.cells in the high desert of yucca valley, ca. I don't have a shade problem. I am considering to mount on top of a patio structure to create shade on the west side of my home. I have yet to build the structure. I considered using two SMA SB5000-US-12 (in case one inverter goes down). All panels will be mounted at 180 degrees facing at 19 degrees and 6" offset. The calculation shows a generation of 14,596 Kw annually. Do you see any issues with this set up? Can you help?
          Grid tie, right ? DIY ? f so, any PV design experience ?

Something's not adding up. If by "calculation" you mean the output from some model like PVWatts, and you've done things reasonably correctly, and from your location, backing into a system size would indeed indicate something like an 8.6 STC kW system like the OP. But, you've got 2 ea., 5 kW inverters, and from what you're writing, it sounds like one of those is a spare ? If not a spare, 10 kW of inverters for an 8.6 STC kW system sounds oversized.

Keeping the cart before the horse, what's your annual load ? If it's less than the 14,596 kWh/yr. estimate, it'll quickly grow to exceed that number.

For starters on design, consider/check external loadings: Wind and seismic for both the structure and the array fixing. Don't forget to check local building codes which may/probably require a design review and/or a P.E. stamp on the design.

I'd respectfully suggest one of the mods may want to move this post to its own thread.

Comment

Working...
          X