Lithium solar charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium solar charging

I bought this cheap 9watt led with buildin 2 18650 lithium. Perhaps i change these batteries with better ones. Including is also a lithium charger Ac to dc. I can charge ofcourse with a solar panel and stepdown module or lithium charger module. As you can see there are no electronics inside not even a diode.

my question is what happend if i turn the led lamp on while charging???
    Attached Files

Something really weird will happen, the LED will glow brightly and emit light. Strange, very strange.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Will the battery also be filled if the incoming amp is higher than the led draws??

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin View Post
        I bought this cheap 9watt led with buildin 2 18650 lithium. Perhaps i change these batteries with better ones. Including is also a lithium charger Ac to dc. I can charge ofcourse with a solar panel and stepdown module or lithium charger module. As you can see there are no electronics inside not even a diode.

my question is what happend if i turn the led lamp on while charging???
        The recharge time will be increased in proportion to the amount of power the LED steals from the charging process. If you know the power from the charger, and the power of the LED you can figure it out.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Will the battery also be filled if the incoming amp is higher than the led draws??
          The battery may be charged but it will take longer if you are using the LED at the same time.

There is also the possibility that the LED will use more than the charger can supply and the battery may be discharged.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the replies. Since such cheap rechargeable leds (+/-3usd incl charger) do not have a discharge protection does it mean that 18650 li-ion regulates/protects itself, eg 2.5v cutt off itself?? Or not??

about overcharging,
            according to info: manufacturers of Li-ion cells are very strict on the correct setting because Li-ion cannot accept overcharge.

Comment

There are lots of articles about counterfeit 18650 cells labeled With Protection (or PCB) that only have a plain washer under the heat-shrink, and not a protection PCB. If it's a $1 cell, it's unprotected. There was a picture or video floating around, showing the breaker factories, smashing up old laptop battery packs, and tossing cells into drums, and only the obvious duds were being discarded, the others get fresh heat-shrink and resold on flea-bay.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I have a stepdown module which i intend to set on 4volt (not 4.2) and i intend to connect this continuesly to this lamp with buildin 18650. Is there any danger if i dont load for lets say a week??

Comment

I have a stepdown module which i intend to set on 4volt (not 4.2) and i intend to connect this continuesly to this lamp with buildin 18650. Is there any danger if i dont load for lets say a week??
                  I guess it comes down to if there is any BMS in that system that keeps the batteries happy and on float charge without overcharging them.

Most quality rechargeable battery systems will allow you to keep the batteries installed and on charge but the cheaper ones may slowly kill the batteries by cooking them.

Comment

Something is very wrong with the numbers the manufacture is using. The manufacture claims it is a 9 watt LED (if 9 watts uses more than 9 watts) and can run 10 hours.

9 watts x 10 hours = 90 Watt Hours.

OK all I see is 2 x 18650 cells of unspecified lithium ion battery type. Could be LFP or LCO. Since you mentioned 4.2 volts indicates LCO. Anyway I could care less what type it is because no way on God's Green Earth can 2 18650 cells contain 90 watt hours of energy.

For a single 18650 LCO cell to contain 45 watt hours would mean the cell capacity has to be 12.5 Amp Hours. IMPOSSIBLE At best 3 to 4 AH is all that is possible today. All I can say is this manufacture is Nucking Futs. It would require 6 to10 18650 cells to run a 9 watt LED 10 hours.

Wake up and do the math. Look at it this way. If any battery manufacturer could actually do what this manufacture is claiming would be the King of planet earth and would own the world. All energy problems would be solved, and they would be the only supplier of all electric energy world wide. All the world's money would flow through their doors. Imagine your electric car with a 1000 mile range with all the Bells ans Whistles like air conditioning traveling up hill in the dessert at 100 mph. How about a heavy electric cargo plane with a 5,000 mile range cruising at 400 mph?

That is what the manufacture is claiming.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 06-11-2017, 02:52 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Perhaps it is a LED that produces light similar to a 9W incadescent ... say 1W. A slightly better than mediocre cell is maybe 7 or 8 Wh so 10 hours from a pair would be reasonable.

Comment

It is i think a 9watt led (see pict above), sure it will NOT burn for 10 hours constant bright. After about 3 hours its time to turn it off cause it will dimm. There is no discharge protection.

Comment

It is i think a 9watt led (see pict above), sure it will NOT burn for 10 hours constant bright. After about 3 hours its time to turn it off cause it will dimm. There is no discharge protection.
                          Manufacture claims 10 hours. 2 to 3 hours max, and if the light dims after 3 hours, you went to far.
                          Last edited by Sunking; 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Only for suckers is this text on the package ???
                            i can put a lithium module in between with discharge protection.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X