Interconnection costs.approx costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interconnection costs.approx costs

I have a 400 AMP service and i and trying to put together all the pieces of a DYI solar PV resi project. 13KW (approx) of PV. Just for setting up the interconnection to the meter. i was quoted 3.5K .

The following is the details of the work to be done.

A] Furnish a 400A meter enclosure for solar meter adjacent to existing utility meter (chimney mount)

B] Furnish and install 100A solar AC disconnect adjacent to solar meter and connect to customer side of
    meter

Is that approx what costs are.

Thanks
    MLC

What is the 400A meter enclosure for?
    Do you not have net metering available to you?
    or is this a production meter in which case there are easier ways like a built in RGM with the inverter.

You will need an AC disconnect and likely a lineside tap.

It would help a bit if you at least gave the state this is being installed in. AHJ rules do vary from location to location.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

This is in Pennsylvania. PECO is the utility.

Comment

The following is from PECO handbook..

"METERING OPTIONS: All services shall be metered for registered kWH and KW usage as dictated by the PAPUC tariff. The qualifications for Net Metering are listed in the PECO 'Rate RS-2 Net Metering' Tariff. PECO will provide the IN and OUT meters for customers electing a Net Metering option. Customers must provide and install the required meter sockets or metering transformer enclosures to contain the PECO metering equipment. For the residential, two meter option, both sockets must be outdoors, with space for mounting a copy of the source directory required per NEC, Article 705.10, showing location of all electrical sources to the premises."

Thank you for everyone's help.

Comment

Why don't you go with net metering?

Comment

Bruce, I think that is net metering; why the utility wants a generation meter is beyond my pay grade, but beginning in 2016, Duke Energy (for South Carolina at least) began requiring the additional meter socket in which they put a meter. My October 2015 installation didn't require it, but my installer was aware of the requirement and said his cost to do so was negligible, and if I'd like one, he'd put it in. I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
              Bruce, I think that is net metering; why the utility wants a generation meter is beyond my pay grade, but beginning in 2016, Duke Energy (for South Carolina at least) began requiring the additional meter socket in which they put a meter. My October 2015 installation didn't require it, but my installer was aware of the requirement and said his cost to do so was negligible, and if I'd like one, he'd put it in. I didn't.
              Who is Bruce?
              it states " For the residential, two meter option, both sockets..."

If you look at the requirements document it states that a single meter will be used but a dual can be subtituted at the companies expense. Again I ask why not use a net meter (to clarify) single meter?

https://www.peco.com/SiteCollectionD...ate%20RS-2.pdf

1. A customer-generator facility used for net metering shall be equipped with a single bi-directional meter that can measure and record the flow of electricity in both directions at the same rate. A dual meter arrangement may be substituted for a single bidirectional meter at the Companys expense.
              For SRECs you can use a built in RGM to the inverter. We have taken to using these exclusively as management is much simpler, and installation is pretty much free since it is part of the inverter
              Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, who is Bruce, maybe Butch? I certainly would be unhappy with 2 meters for net metering. For one thing
                they would have to be 300' apart; for another I make some effort to let as much energy as possible flow directly
                from my inverters to my loads as possible. No point in letting the PoCo see it or think about charging different
                rates for them, or charging for my total generation. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by mchhabria View Post
                  The following is the details of the work to be done.

... and connect to customer side of meter
                  Is that a line-side tap? And a significant distance of wire that needs to be buried in appropriate conduit?
                  Or is this a short conduit nipple and wires to a breaker in the existing breaker box?

If it's the latter, then it seems high. At least to me.

If it's high it could be the person doing the estimate just doesn't really want the job. ie.. "I don't really want to do this job - but if they'll pay me that much I will do it"
                  But it may not be high - there's just not enough information to tell if this job is $300 of materials and 4 hours or $1500 of materials and 20 hours.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies.

1] I have attached PECO yellow book (please refer to pg 2) hopefully that explains why two meter are necessary. ( i will call and ask them next week and post the reply)

2] My understanding is it is a line side tap and there is no distance. Please see attached picture.

Have a nice long weekend.

Best
                    MLC
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mchhabria View Post
                      Thank you everyone for the replies.

1] I have attached PECO yellow book (please refer to pg 2) hopefully that explains why two meter are necessary. ( i will call and ask them next week and post the reply)

2] My understanding is it is a line side tap and there is no distance. Please see attached picture.

Have a nice long weekend.

Best
                      MLC
                      you stated it's 13kW system- why solar disconnect is rated 100A? If my understanding is correct it's supposed to be 13,000 W / 240 V = approx 54A so 60A should be sufficient. If your main breaker is 400A I'd think you could route your solar through the load side, it would make few things simpler.

Comment

The current interconnect was suggested by the electrician.

I will keep what you mentioned and try to find a more cost effective solution.

Best
                        MLC

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

you stated it's 13kW system- why solar disconnect is rated 100A? If my understanding is correct it's supposed to be 13,000 W / 240 V = approx 54A so 60A should be sufficient. If your main breaker is 400A I'd think you could route your solar through the load side, it would make few things simpler.
                          Actually a 60A might be too small to meet the local code requirements. The electrical equipment should be rated at least 1.15 x the 54A (or ~62A) which is above 60A and the next standard size disconnect would be 100A. The suggestion to use a 100A disconnect was leaning on the safe side

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Actually a 60A might be too small to meet the local code requirements. The electrical equipment should be rated at least 1.15 x the 54A (or ~62A) which is above 60A and the next standard size disconnect would be 100A. The suggestion to use a 100A disconnect was leaning on the safe side
                            Good catch, thank you. I wonder if it is possible to 'derate' the system to 60/1.15 * 240 = 12,500 W?

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post
                              Good catch, thank you. I wonder if it is possible to 'derate' the system to 60/1.15 * 240 = 12,500 W?
                              Actually I believe it's 1.25 (or 0.8 - depending on if you multiply or divide)
                              Code reference is NEC 210.20(A)

So using that number:
                              60 / 1.25 * 240 = 11520W

Not suprisingly there are a number of inverter models right at ~11400W (11400W is 47.5A continuous which leads to a 60A breaker)
                              ex:
                              https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...-datasheet.pdf
                              http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/.../2714_1483.htm

Or SMA's 11kw, 45.8A

So there is a way to design the system to fit in 60A - and that is a method used. Or similar method used for fitting in 40A breaker.
                              40A fits nicely into a 200A service using the 120% rule and that means a 7.6KW inverter fits nicely in a lot of designs I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X