Cold climate outdoor Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold climate outdoor Inverter

I know they are rated for outdoor and have a Nema 4 rating, have you guys used them outside in cold? Any reason to think it would cut its life expectancy?

Thanks,
    Aren

Originally posted by Dsspro View Post
    I know they are rated for outdoor and have a Nema 4 rating, have you guys used them outside in cold? Any reason to think it would cut its life expectancy?
    In general, being cold all the time will INCREASE life expectancy. However, wide swings in temperature are bad for electronics - thus outside mounting is generally more stressful to electronics overall. Still, I'd be much more hesitant to mount an inverter outside in Phoenix than I would in Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
      In general, being cold all the time will INCREASE life expectancy. However, wide swings in temperature are bad for electronics - thus outside mounting is generally more stressful to electronics overall. Still, I'd be much more hesitant to mount an inverter outside in Phoenix than I would in Maine.
      In either location, if I had to put it outside, I'd put a permanent awning over it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        In either location, if I had to put it outside, I'd put a permanent awning over it.
        Agreed. Especially in Phoenix; temperatures in the sun can exceed maximum temperature ratings of inverters. And protection from UV and rain in both places can only help.

I have an inverter on the outside of our rental house (a 20 year old Sunnyboy) that is still working fine - but the display is now illegible and the paint is flaking away due to UV exposure. No awning.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll just make space inside or wire it to a different place in house.

Comment

Just installed a SE inverter outside at my parents house last fall. It's on the North side of the house, and mostly covered by the eaves. I figured that was better than confined to a small 3x5 closet where the main service panel is.

Comment

The problem of outside installations isn't usually the temperature but the moisture that gets into the electrical components. Even a NEMA 4X rating does not keep the equipment dry 100% of the time as long as air (with moisture) gets inside the box and condenses.

Keeping outside electrical equipment dry is the primary action plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsspro View Post
                Thanks guys, I'll just make space inside or wire it to a different place in house.
                Garages are also a popular location. Semi controlled environment, some temp. stability and, if important more secure from lowlifes and critters.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking,

Comment

My inverters have done well for 4 years in an unheated shed, well protected from sun and
                    moisture. I would NEVER want them outside. One winter brought months of 20 below zero
                    F, produced a lot of energy under often clear skies, apparently no problem. Bruce Roe

Comment

The biggest issue IMHO is bugs building nests inside the case or on the inverter cooling fins. Its probably a few degrees warmer than ambient and bugs will love to nest in the cooling fins. Not a big problem until summer rolls around. If they can find away into the case they will and cause further issues. One of my Fronius inverters got zapped by the utility, they shipped me a refurb unit under warranty and it obviously was out in barn somewhere. The interior of the case was clean but the cooling fins were pretty cruddy.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
                        The biggest issue IMHO is bugs building nests inside the case or on the inverter cooling fins. Its probably a few degrees warmer than ambient and bugs will love to nest in the cooling fins. Not a big problem until summer rolls around. If they can find away into the case they will and cause further issues. One of my Fronius inverters got zapped by the utility, they shipped me a refurb unit under warranty and it obviously was out in barn somewhere. The interior of the case was clean but the cooling fins were pretty cruddy.
                        Bugs certainly would be a factor, but bugs might be worse outside. After my system was finished, the outside
                        combiner box was overhauled to be nearly bug proof. Duct tape layers were built up so any cracks were
                        extremely narrow; all wiring came though waterproof pass throughs. The 4 outside disconnect boxes were
                        removed one by one and sealed water tight against the wall. An earlier fall found the building floor covered
                        with millions of dead lady bugs. So the vents and doors were sealed up really well; never saw any more bugs
                        in there.

I also worried that some critters might bite the array wiring, but at 400VDC I haven't found a dead deer
                        carcass out there yet. Its a little high for ground critters. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                        X