• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

Help with Permitting - Building Dept dragging feet

Hi Folks,
    I live in a rural area on a dozen acres of land about 2 miles outside of a township of 3000... I'm installing a 7.5kw ground mount system and turned in my application to the township three weeks ago.
    So far, I've heard nothing back from them. I've called them twice.. The first time I told them I wanted to make sure the inspector received it and that there wasn't anything else he needed, the second time was this morning to check on the status.. The response I get from the lady who answers the phone is "Oh he didn't call you yet?"

I've been told that I am the first in the township to install a solar system.. I find that hard to believe but ok.. Is three weeks normal? There is nothing special about my system, I'm using components from SolarWorld and SMA and installing the system in the back yard.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Where are you located and who is the JHA for your area?

Sometimes it is a slow start getting the city officials to move on solar installations.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

Being spring he could simply be overloaded with permits. Most likely taking care of those that he's experienced with until he can find the time to research solar regulations if this is the first solar permit to be handled by the township.

Comment

• Murby
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2017

I'm in Michigan and I don't know what JHA stands for.
        Is there some kind of time limit he has? Are there laws that prevent him from just ignoring me forever or anything?

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Usually referred to as AHJ. Authority having jurisdiction. I.E city, county, community building dept. who will be enforcing regulations and inspecting your project
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Murby
            I'm in Michigan and I don't know what JHA stands for.
            Is there some kind of time limit he has? Are there laws that prevent him from just ignoring me forever or anything?
            Sorry. I get dyslexic sometimes. I meant AHJ.

Little harbor provided the correct info.

Unfortunately there probably isn't a time limit that they have to respond in, unless it is in writing somewhere in their code or permit application form.

Comment

• Murby
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2017

It wouldn't have mattered how you organized the letters, I would have had no idea what it stood for! LOL.. I don't do this kind of stuff normally.. In fact, this is the first time I've ever pulled a permit in my life. I've done things like run 220 volt underground feeders out to my water storage pad, tapped into the natural gas line in my basement to add an outdoor tap for my generator, and have installed new water heaters and various other things.. but I've never pulled permits for these small jobs..

Anyhow.. after almost three weeks of waiting, I decided to become the squeaky wheel and make a few phone calls.. My permit has been approved! In fact, the receptionist said he's not even going to charge me all the fee's.. Just a single feeder inspection and I'm good to go.

I am the first in my area to install solar.. "To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before!" ... Should I be expecting the news media? a parade? some kind of good citizen reward?

Time to go pay my $30, get a shovel and start digging.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Have you filed applications with the Electric company you are connecting to for backfeed ?
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Murby: Meant respectfully, one thing among many to consider: Building inspectors and dept.'s, while usually considered impediments to progress, can actually and often be a good source of information as well as a check on safety and good design - another set of eyes with some experience.

No offense meant, but in spite of your stated (and not doubted) experience, you sound a bit inexperienced w/respect to PV design and installation.

On top of that, and to the first point above, it sounds like from what your write, that you are sort of live without a net in the sense that your AHJ's and building dept. may be less experienced w/PV installation than most and so perhaps less likely to catch/flag stuff that you, in your possible inexperience, might do that could get you into trouble. Or, also in everyone's limited experience level, yours and theirs, things may happen or be done in such a way that may cause unintended problems.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• Murby
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
                    Have you filed applications with the Electric company you are connecting to for backfeed ?
                    I have that paperwork on hand and will be submitting it once construction starts.. I'm doing this all by myself so its probably going to take a couple of months for me to complete everything.. I have time.. But ya, I've already spoken to Detroit Edison and it's not a complicated process..

Comment

• Dsspro
                      • Mar 2017

I think someone already hit it on the head. Most permit processors are slammed as road restrictions just came off.

Id swing by and check in, the problem is you really can't piss them off as they can hold the cards.

On my install I had to check in with 2/3 people holding me up, I get it they are busy... the city after speaking with them issued the building permit next day.

Good luck and have fun with your install.
                      Last edited by Dsspro; 04-24-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• solarix
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2015

3 weeks? That's not much. And being a dept that hasn't much solar experience - they are going to take time to research it. Plus with you being a homeowner, they are going to figure the plans are not exactly perfected. Breaking new ground with building departments is not conducive to speedy permits....
                        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

You should submit the same plans as you filed with the local Bldg Inspection dept, to the electric company, ASAP. If they don't agree with it, you are stuck with unusable gear.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Murby
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2017

UPDATE:
                            Yesterday, I decided to become the squeaky wheel in hopes of being greased.. Short story, after a couple of phone calls, I am approved! The inspector ended up calling me in the late afternoon after I left a couple messages and said he's not even going to charge me the full permitting fee.. Just a single inspection for the feeder circuit when the project is completed and I'm good to go.

I was always nice when calling.. even went so far as to joke "its not a solar emergency, scientists say it will be there for another 5 billion years" to make the receptionists laugh a bit..

Seems to have worked.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Murby
                              UPDATE:
                              Yesterday, I decided to become the squeaky wheel in hopes of being greased.. Short story, after a couple of phone calls, I am approved! The inspector ended up calling me in the late afternoon after I left a couple messages and said he's not even going to charge me the full permitting fee.. Just a single inspection for the feeder circuit when the project is completed and I'm good to go.

I was always nice when calling.. even went so far as to joke "its not a solar emergency, scientists say it will be there for another 5 billion years" to make the receptionists laugh a bit..

Seems to have worked.
                              Usually, you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar, especially when dealing with those with the whip hand. Always easier to be nice to everyone until they're not nice to you.

Comment

Working...