X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dsspro
    • Mar 2017

Couple questions, single line tool and uneven strings on different mppt

I have a few questions.

Anyone have a tool they use to design professional looking single line drawings? I need to submit another one and would like something cleaner than I'm using.

On my current setup I have a Primo 11.4 and running 4 strings combined to 2 with their rapid shutdown. Being that it has 2 mppt inputs I have room for 6 more panels. Can I run 2 extra per string on mppt 1 and 1 extra per string on mppt 2? Looking at Fronius tool it will support up to 11 panels per string so I'm good there. They now offer a 340w panel vs the 310w I purchased... Any issue mixing them in the system for the additional 6?

Thanks,
    Aren
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Adding the 340 W panel to an existing string is only ok if the Imp is about the same as the existing panels.

​​​​​​Search solardesigntool for decent single line drawings. I had to tweak the grounding on mine, but after that, it was accepted by my ahj. 30 day free trial.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

I use an obscure tool called SuperCad by Mentala. Not sure if he's still in business, but was able to download the latest version recently. Trial version is free, full version is only $99. You can create symbols of anything you want (for example a solar panel) and then replicate quickly. 3-line diagrams take me about 10 minutes to do.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by sensij
        Adding the 340 W panel to an existing string is only ok if the Imp is about the same as the existing panels.
        The more complete rule of thumb is that you can put mismatched panels in series into an MPPT input and lose less than 1% of the nominal total power if the Imp values match within 5% (not plus or minus 5%).
        And you can parallel mismatched panels or strings into one MPPT output and lose less than 1% if the Vmp values match within 5%.

Both of those rules go down the drain when you are dealing with the possibility of partial shade on only some of the panels, but the parallel connection is still good for single panels rather than strings of panels in parallel.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Dsspro
          Anyone have a tool they use to design professional looking single line drawings? I
          need to submit another one and would like something cleaner than I'm using. Thanks, Aren
          I have been using a free download program from EXPRESSPCB, for drawings and drafting circuit boards. The
          drawing section can be used for other stuff and printed out on 8.5" X 11". All my PHOTOBUCKET schematics
          are from this program. You can make up your own library of custom symbols. Its more likely to impress inspectors
          than a hand drawing, and you can neatly get a lot more on a sheet. One nice feature is being able to just "move over"
          a completed section, when an addition is needed. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Dsspro
            • Mar 2017

Thanks guys I'll check out these tools this week. I'm hoping to grab some more of the 310 panels this week from Renvu but think they are out as the 340s replaced them.

Comment

Working...