X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dsspro
    • Mar 2017

Equipment grounding question...

Hi guys,
    I'm wrapping my head around the next piece of the install. I'm going to run the Primo 11.4 and matching multi rapid shutdown.

I what to skip the Soladeck as it adds another connection point and want to run the conduit from the roof flashing straight to the Multi rapid shutdown.

The rapid shutdown has has a lug on the outside and 2 grounding terminals on the inside.

Can I run the solid 6 to the lug on the outside and either use a jumper from the inside to the rapid shutdown connection block or is that not needed?

I attached a couple screen shots from the manual.

Thanks!

IMG_3051.PNG
    IMG_3050.PNG
    Attached Files
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

I think the best approach would be to run the copper through the lug, and then come back around through of the cable glands and terminate in the ground terminal. The problem is that the terminal only accepts 8 AWG, and you have 6 AWG.

From the interior picture, it looks like there is at least one threaded hole marked for grounding. If you that with a listed ground screw and jumper to the ground terminal (with the 6 AWG in the lug externally), that ought to be OK. Your THWN-2 (or whatever ground conductor you are running through conduit) will terminate in the other ground terminal. (You could also just terminate the THWN-2 directly to the ground screw, and not use the ground terminals at all)

(This is assuming the ground you are running is EGC only, and that a GEC to the array is not required)
    Last edited by sensij; 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Dsspro
      • Mar 2017

Thanks, that'll make it easier.

I spoke with Unirac today and my panels are supported by them for the intergrated bonding.

Last edited by Dsspro; 03-30-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dsspro
        Thanks, that'll make it easier.

I spoke with Unirac today and my panels are supported by them for the intergrated bonding.
        I'd be cautious with this, get documentation if possible. Unirac takes the position that specific panel+racking combinations do not need to be tested. Not every AHJ agrees. I was asked specifically for documentation showing integrated ground was approved for my panel+rack combination, and IronRidge maintains a list of combinations they've tested (and approved). Unirac has a list in their design guide, too, but it looks somewhat dated and does not have the panel I used. This is from the current SolarMount guide.
        Unirac.JPG
        Last edited by sensij; 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM. Reason: added links
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Dsspro
          • Mar 2017

Well you guys on this site are making me look good. I spoke with the engineer at the poco today and they are going to sign off Monday... he figured I hired someone to pull everything together and working with me.

Hopefully the city building inspector goes same direction.

The gal in tech support over st Unirac said she would send over an email if needed or speak with the State inspector if needed.

Comment

Working...