Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under capacity inverter

Hi,

Sungevity installed a 3.9kw system with 300 w lg panels. All panels face south with no issues of shade . But they used Solar edge 3000 as inverter. Since it was the first time, my focus was to get more efficient panels. I am from California and get sun all day and temp can go as high as 105. What can I do now?

Hi meetyaks and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Its quite common to install more panel wattage than the inverter nameplate wattage. Reason being most of the time your panels dont produce their nameplate wattage. I think your situation is quite normal, dont think you need to do anything. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
      Hi meetyaks and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Its quite common to install more panel wattage than the inverter nameplate wattage. Reason being most of the time your panels dont produce their nameplate wattage. I think your situation is quite normal, dont think you need to do anything. Cheers.
      Thanks Pete, I wouldn't have been concerned if it's 10 to 15 percent difference. It's 25℅ low and I wanted high efficient panels. They charged me more for these panels

Comment

Originally posted by meetyaks View Post
        Thanks Pete, I wouldn't have been concerned if it's 10 to 15 percent difference. It's 25℅ low and I wanted high efficient panels. They charged me more for these panels
        Before you get worried, measure your production over the course of a day. If you don't see a flattened top then you are not losing any power.

Or just take a look at production around noon. If it's less than 3000 watts, then again, you are not losing any power.

The main reason I wouldn't worry is this comment:
        I am from California and get sun all day and temp can go as high as 105.
        At 105F your 3900 watt array is probably giving you about 3300 watts. And that's if it's perfectly clean and ideally aligned. 3000 watts is more likely.

In the winter when temps are lower the angle is going to be worse (if you are like most people who do roof mount) and again you'll get closer to 3000 watts than 3900.

I have a 9.88kW system with 8.7k worth of inverters - and I am in a better climate than you (almost never see over 90F.) The only time I have seen the inverters come anywhere close to their limits is during cloud lensing right after rain (cool panels, clean, more light than a clear sky.)

Comment

Something about the Solar Edge inverters. They are rated in AC output wattage and not the DC panel input wattage so the difference is not as high as you think.

The SE3000A-US inverter is rated at 3000watt AC output with a 3300Watt AC max output and 4050 watt DC panel input.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Working...
          X