Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Panels put up by a roofer?

Hello,
    I've been thinking about going solar for a while. Now that the Republicans are taking over, I suspect that the 30% tax credit may be going away, and it's starting to seem more urgent. Does anybody know any reliable contractors in the SF Bay Area? I worry about the quality of installation. I have a newer house with a Spanish Tile roof, and I understand that there are good ( expensive ) mounting systems, and also less good ones. Solar savings could quickly evaporate if the roof leaks! Or if the panels blow off in a high wind....

I am a pretty good electronic tech ( used to do it for a living ), and also have experience in doing NEC-compliant electrical work. I feel confident that I can set up inverters, rewire breaker boxes etc. But I don't want to climb on the roof. Getting old, bad back. Maybe I could have the panels themselves installed by a roofer and do the rest myself? That way, I would have complete control over the type of equipment.

Originally posted by jerry1234 View Post
    Hello,
    I've been thinking about going solar for a while. Now that the Republicans are taking over, I suspect that the 30% tax credit may be going away, and it's starting to seem more urgent. Does anybody know any reliable contractors in the SF Bay Area? I worry about the quality of installation. I have a newer house with a Spanish Tile roof, and I understand that there are good ( expensive ) mounting systems, and also less good ones. Solar savings could quickly evaporate if the roof leaks! Or if the panels blow off in a high wind....

I am a pretty good electronic tech ( used to do it for a living ), and also have experience in doing NEC-compliant electrical work. I feel confident that I can set up inverters, rewire breaker boxes etc. But I don't want to climb on the roof. Getting old, bad back. Maybe I could have the panels themselves installed by a roofer and do the rest myself? That way, I would have complete control over the type of equipment.
    I don't know that this tells you everything, but this is an example of how to install a mount. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMfhaghBkWU

Comment

• jerry1234
      jerry1234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that's the exact system I had in mind.

You contact your favorite roofer and your solar installer.
    Roofers don't (generally) know squat about PV installs
    So you get the solar mounts and electrical penetrations done, have the roofer bless and seal them, and let the solar finish up. That's how I did mine 10 years ago
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      You contact your favorite roofer and your solar installer.
      Roofers don't (generally) know squat about PV installs
      So you get the solar mounts and electrical penetrations done, have the roofer bless and seal them, and let the solar finish up. That's how I did mine 10 years ago
      Sounds like good advice to me. I'd only add and suggest that PV knowledgeable folks don't necessarily make the best roofers either, particularly with mission tile. I had the roofer do the penetrations and set the posts per the PV vendor's drawings while doing roof remediation and repapering. Took a bit of coordination but worked out well in the end.

Comment

Every solar contractor I know subs out the panel installation to roofing contractors who speak no English.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Every solar contractor I know subs out the panel installation to roofing contractors who speak no English.
          Around here, some do, but most quality installers tend to sub out needed roof remediation/work to roofing contractors and run their own installation crews for the PV work, including roof penetrations. Of course, the roof work usually goes to the sub with the lowest bid. I got my own roofer and acted as P.M./coord.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Around here, some do, but most quality installers tend to sub out needed roof remediation/work to roofing contractors and run their own installation crews for the PV work, including roof penetrations. Of course, the roof work usually goes to the sub with the lowest bid. I got my own roofer and acted as P.M./coord.
            You did what any reasonable person doing it themselves and especially if you do it for a living professionally. Money goes to where it is welcomed the most and treated with respect.

Most Solar Contractors I have worked with are General Contractors with a Sparky and Train Driver on retainer contracts. Cookie cutter types where they have 5 to 10 different sizes. Train Driver already has all the drawings and material list put together and makes minor modification to make it fit along with a site visit to make make sure structural is up to snuff before he Stamps the customer ticket to come on board the Solar Train. Sparky over sees the subs, makes the final connection, lights it up and lets it burn. Then when toasty calls AHJ and POCO for Inspections.
            Last edited by Sunking; 11-13-2016, 08:40 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X