Tilt angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt angle

Still in the planning stages for an 8.4 kw system. Had to have my plans engineered because of the W. to E. 15 degree slope. Now the question is the tilt angle. Found 3 sites on the web that say the angle at 38.713044 latitude should be 32.50 degrees. When lay out my posts for a dry run I come up with an angle of only 15 degrees. Should I go back to the engineer and change this before I submit my plans or is it not that big of a deal? Would like the optimum production to be in the summer.
    ​Dale

Check http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php to see how much output is at a couple of tilts in your area.

http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/ looks interesting, too.

Comment

I'm pretty slow about some things.
      Is this a ground mount ?
      What is the current planned array azimuth ?
      What is the current array tilt ?

Comment

Dan, PV watts = at 15 degrees 12588 kwh/ yr,value of $1965. aA 33 degrees $1965 kwh/yr and a value of $2022. Plus of $65 for the year.
        J. P. M.
        ground munt
        ​due south , might tweak it a little to the east because of skadin on the west side
        ​in planning, am thinking of 30 degrees
        ​Thanks for the help
        ​Lot of planning for $65.00 a year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DC1 View Post
          Dan, PV watts = at 15 degrees 12588 kwh/ yr,value of $1965. aA 33 degrees $1965 kwh/yr and a value of $2022. Plus of $65 for the year.
          J. P. M.
          ground munt
          ​due south , might tweak it a little to the east because of skadin on the west side
          ​in planning, am thinking of 30 degrees
          ​Thanks for the help
          ​Lot of planning for $65.00 a year!!!
          30 deg. sounds about right, maybe a bit more, but perhaps easier to build w/ 30 deg. ZIP ??

Comment

33.5 is the exact number.
            zip 95682

Comment

Should have stated that at 33.5 degrees the back [ north east ] pole gets to be over 11 feet high. I'm an old man and don't like falling or trying to get things too far over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by DC1 View Post
                Should have stated that at 33.5 degrees the back [ north east ] pole gets to be over 11 feet high. I'm an old man and don't like falling or trying to get things too far over my head.
                Lots of us are old farts. Age is a number, but I understand. Heights are why God made ladders.

Comment

The sun doesn't care if your panels are horizontal, vertical, or follow the slope of your lot. What matters is the suns angle of
                  incidence to the panels, relative to a perfect vertical. I have an array changing elevation more than my height from one end
                  to the other; both ends are the same height above the ground. It was built using a laser between ends for reference, not a
                  level. No ladder needed to work on it. If I understand correctly, your lot slopes 15 degrees between E and W. Bruce Roe

NSnoview.png

Comment

I have my panels almost flat, just enough to let the rain water flow off them. Not destroying a million dollar view for what a few extra panels will get me. As it is, none of the panels are actually on my property. So it is good to keep a low profile.

Comment

Working...
                    X