Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roberth
    • Jun 2016

Wire run..?

have a newbie question.....what is best way to run wire from panels into my house.i do not have a garage so will need to come into a back bedroom....
    also can someone recommend a website to purchase all things solar....mainly parts to install,,,,combiner boxes,entry plate??

...................Thanks Robert...
  • emartin00
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Personally I think the easiest way to do it is to just run conduit down the side of the house. Follow the edge of the trim boards to make it look cleaner.

I used Renvu. They have good service and good prices.

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

AC or DC? to grid inverter or battery bank? How many watts and voltage is the array? DIY grid tie? You have not given nearly enough information.

Comment

• roberth
        • Jun 2016

i have 4 100 watt panels....will be a battery bank...now i have 4 GC batteries...215ah in series for 24 volts.i have thhn wire at 10ga.....Thanks

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by roberth
          i have 4 100 watt panels....will be a battery bank...now i have 4 GC batteries...215ah in series for 24 volts.i have thhn wire at 10ga.....Thanks
          What is the make and model of your charge controller? That will help determine the way those 4 panels are wired and the wire size.

Comment

• roberth
            • Jun 2016

ordered a epsolar tracer 4215bn 40 amp.....should get it tomorrow.my panels are pole mounted 2 to a pole at my garage and will be run in air on a cable from garage to house
            i think the run is no more than 60 feet.my main concern is how to get wire in house from outside...is there an entry plate or something i can buy..i saw something like that and it is for a motor home.maybe can work in my case.........Thanks

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

ordered a epsolar tracer 4215bn 40 amp.....should get it tomorrow.my panels are pole mounted 2 to a pole at my garage and will be run in air on a cable from garage to house
              i think the run is no more than 60 feet.my main concern is how to get wire in house from outside...is there an entry plate or something i can buy..i saw something like that and it is for a motor home.maybe can work in my case.........Thanks
              If you are running DC into the house, and do not have overcurrent protection outside the house first you will need to run your wiring inside metal conduit or tubing.
              The simplest, conventional, way to do a wire entry in that case would be to use a service type weatherhead to bring the overhead wires into a metal conduit going down to a box or an elbow condulet which will take the wiring into more conduit or EMT going into or through the wall to the disconnect on the inverter or CC.
              We still do now know if you are talking about a grid-tie or off-grid (battery) system.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

I am still a little confused on how you plan to wire your panels to the Tracer CC and then to your batteries.

As inetdog states if you plan on running the DC wires from your panels into your home they need to be in conduit or the wires can enter through a weatherhead wiring device.

Comment

• roberth
                  • Jun 2016

with just getting started as a newbie i just want backup power in a grid down situation....i own a small house.just need power for refrigerator and some lights.
                  so is my plan to stretch a cable (maybe a vinyl covered clothes line) between detached garage and house (30ft) and loop the wire to the house.weatherhead device at house with a circuit breaker right before entering house...want to put my batteries in a heavy duty box (50 gal tote) from Walmart with lid and vented to outside to a window above box...using brushless fan...CC and inverter mounted on wall near box..this is in a back bedroom area of house....thanks again for the expert ideas and/or correction.

Comment

Working...