Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spiffdandy
    • Oct 2016

Calculating Amperage loss

There are lots of sites with Voltage loss calculators to tell you the given voltage drop per each length and guage of wiring used, however, I find none which will calculate amperage loss? I will be running 200 feet of 10ga wire round trip from my float to my pump. Any help is appreciated.
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spiffdandy
    There are lots of sites with Voltage loss calculators to tell you the given voltage drop per each length and guage of wiring used, however, I find none which will calculate amperage loss? I will be running 200 feet of 10ga wire round trip from my float to my pump. Any help is appreciated.

There is no amperage loss, only voltage loss,.

The current going in at one end of a wire is guaranteed to be the same current coming out at the other end - see Kirchoff's laws.

But since most power sources are voltage sources (ex. 120V grid source) and most loads behave mostly resistively a voltage drop from larger wires results in less voltage deilvered to the load which means it uses less power and less current - but the current flowing through the wire is the same at all points through that wire.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Like water going through a pipe, provided there's one inlet, one outlet and no holes, if 10 l goes in one end, 10 l will come out the other. Current is like flow rate, voltage is like pressure drop.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Spiffdandy
        With thousands of feet of PV solar wire here, I wondered about that too. Approved insulators are very good, but not perfect. One very dark
        night I actually set up to measure leakage current. It was MANY orders of magnitude smaller than operational currents, I forget just how
        many. Far below operational considerations, I was surprised. Bruce Roe

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

With thousands of feet of PV solar wire here, I wondered about that too. Approved insulators are very good, but not perfect. One very dark
          night I actually set up to measure leakage current. It was MANY orders of magnitude smaller than operational currents, I forget just how
          many. Far below operational considerations, I was surprised. Bruce Roe
          You can be pretty sure that leakage will be less than 6ma. (The nominal trip point of a GFCI.)
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

The Fronius inverters here use a 1A fuse as a GFI detector; obviously more for protecting equipment than people. System
            leakage here would be closer to 6 micro amp.

Comment

Working...