Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neil.
    • Jul 2011

Project

Hi all, its been a while, but I need a bit of advice.
    I have been asked to install an installation on an off grid log cabin. The customers have ordered all the gear and its all here. They didnt discuss it with me, but someone else.
    I do solar installations on Narrowboats, up to 400w on 12 and 24v systems, but this is a bigger project with gear I'm unfamiliar with.

I'll list the kit first.
    16 x 250 watt panels
    Outback FM60 MPPT
    Outback GFX1448E Inverter/charger
    8 x 120a leisure batteries.

I'm a little unsure if the MPPT and the GFX are the right bits of kit for the job. The GFX is a 48v charger. In the spec sheet it states that @ 48v the FM60 is only rated to 3000w. 16 x 250w panels amounts to 4000w
    I have done an installation on another cabin and I had to connect some panels in series and some in parallel to keep the voltage down to suit the controller. (as far as I remember)

Firstly, have I got it wrapped around my neck....
    Secondly, if I haven't in the first instance, is there a configuration I can use to get it all to work correctly?

They were advised to get a complete set up from a wholesaler, but it looks like they have used Google and gone their own way. All the panels are used / secondhand but they all seem to be the same make and model.

I am a qualified Electrician btw.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Never get out of the boat
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

should have an FM80 for that size. or if the modules are place in two directions such as a virtual tracking arrangement.
    Outback has a configuration tool but likely you would be looking at strings of 3, in this case you would have to do strings of 2 or not use one module.
    There needs to be a fused combiner though.

since the modules are all used, I would test them all to see that they are all working.
    Sounds like they are going to needs some fuses as well for batteries, ground fault etc.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...