DIY Install - When to order system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Install - When to order system?

First - This site has been an awesome help with design and general questions. Most every question I've had has been answered already. I've lurked until now.

I will be performing a DIY 4.8KW grid tie installation with solar world 320W panels, solar edge inverters and optimizers. I'm buying all the equipment in a kit from a reputable wholesaler online. I performed the load analysis on my roof, drew up the site plan, and put together a permitting package. I have already received my city permit. That said, my power company (Rocky Mountain Power) is still more than 3 weeks out on even looking at my net-metering application. It will take two weeks from the time of order to receive my PV system. That puts me into mid-october at the earliest before starting my install. Where I am, the weather starts getting pretty bad around then. I'd like to save a couple of weeks to allow for bad weather.

Would it be foolish to go ahead and purchase the system now to save a couple weeks, or should I wait for my net-metering agreement to be approved before placing the order?

For those interested, I used PVWatts for sizing, sketch-up for my site layout, and signed up for a trial of solardesigntool.com to help with the schematic. I used Iron Ridge's online tool to verify racking and spans will work with loads I plan to see locally.

How do you feel about the lottery - are you lucky? Do you see other solar installs happening in your area? maybe you can go to the utility office and see what their reqirements are, if you can meet all the requirements with the gear planned, why not order ? But if you don't know what their nit-picking stuff is, you could get stuck making a 2nd order. Will they let a homeowner install, even if the city does. would they require elect lic contractor ? Do your homework.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Do you see other solar installs happening in your area? maybe you can go to the utility office and see what their reqirements are, if you can meet all the requirements with the gear planned, why not order ? But if you don't know what their nit-picking stuff is, you could get stuck making a 2nd order. Will they let a homeowner install, even if the city does. would they require elect lic contractor ? Do your homework.
      The primary thing they might have a concern with is my system is tied on the line side vs the load side of the main breaker. I have confirmed with installers and electricians that this is allowed by the power company and up to code.

I will be hiring an electrician for the line side connection.

But it sounds like I should probably wait to be safe.

Comment

My system was installed and tested almost 3 months before the power company reviewed and approved the interconnect agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyguy View Post
          My system was installed and tested almost 3 months before the power company reviewed and approved the interconnect agreement.

My system was reviewed and approved by the power company within 24 hours of submitting proof of final inspection from the building inspector

Comment

Each power company and AHJ is going to be different.

I'd ask the power company "What's the typical timeline for a solar install? Is there any reason that my application might be denied or significantly delayed like insufficient transformer capacity or such? I want to make sure there are no roadblocks before I spend nine thousand to order components."

IMO you want to be sure there are no roadblocks to installing a system before you spend thousands on modules, etc. That or be prepared for doing a return and paying restocking fees, etc on the chance you are not able to do a system.

Comment

Haste makes waste and mistakes. I'd be deliberate and not rush it.

Comment

One other possibility is to just order and install the attachment points now while waiting for the POCO to say they'll be fine with it.
                For me, I think a lot of my time was doing the attachment points - getting them laid out, finding the rafters, etc. etc.
                And a dozen of quickmount PV mounts or whatever you choose will be a much smaller part of the overall cost. (and shouldn't be much cost for shipping, possibly none - I picked mine up at the Renvu office when I paid them by check for my order.)

There is some risk there that you'll be unable to do your build and have paid for the mounts with no ROI - but you may see it as a worthwhile risk since you are concerned about weather. That judgement call is really up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
                  One other possibility is to just order and install the attachment points now while waiting for the POCO to say they'll be fine with it.
                  For me, I think a lot of my time was doing the attachment points - getting them laid out, finding the rafters, etc. etc.
                  And a dozen of quickmount PV mounts or whatever you choose will be a much smaller part of the overall cost. (and shouldn't be much cost for shipping, possibly none - I picked mine up at the Renvu office when I paid them by check for my order.)

There is some risk there that you'll be unable to do your build and have paid for the mounts with no ROI - but you may see it as a worthwhile risk since you are concerned about weather. That judgement call is really up to you.

I am sure it depends on the area - but my POCO needed the final inspection card (copy) before giving their approval. I do agree with buying everything but the panels/inverter now and wait to you have significant progress made to order them

Comment

Working...
                  X