Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell what is the estimated life of solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell what is the estimated life of solar panels?

Actually I am searching for the solar panel for my home and I would like to know that how much electric it can be generate and what is the estimated life of the solar panel system?

Solar panels should last for 30+ years. They do degrade slowly, so at 30 years old, they won't be producing as much power as when they were new, but they will still be producing power.

Comment

Like anything in life "it depends".

Make and models can vary. Type of solar cells; mono, poly, thin film will also have different life times. Where they are located. Far North or Close to the Equator will affect the life.

In the desert or in the jungle. I could go on and on but I won't.

Most reputable manufacturers give a 25 year warranty. But the panels probably keep producing some amount of power below the rated nameplate for years after that.

I would not make a decision based on how long a panel will last but at what price your "system" will cost to be installed. I would get at least 5 or 6 quotes and compare the hardware proposed as well as the $/watt of the installed cost. Then come back here and we can help you decide if you are getting a good deal or not.
      Last edited by SunEagle; 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

There are other things that degrade, like inverters and wiring. These may cost you more over the life of the system than
        panels or lost generation capacity, esp if you must hire someone else to deal with them. Bruce Roe

Comment

As Sun Eagle mentioned, many manufacturers guarantee 25 years with a warranty and many even promise strong performance after 25 years. Like any other big purchase, do your homework and poll a half dozen or so experts for their opinions on the best panels.

<advertising link removed>

--Mod Note: You are welcome to contribute to the discussion, but please do not try to advertise your solar business without paying advertising rates.
          Last edited by inetdog; 08-12-2016, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X