Wrapping Up Installation - Homeowner Check List?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • entgegnen
    • Jun 2016

Wrapping Up Installation - Homeowner Check List?

As my installation wraps-up, I wanted to ask if there are certain items you might be sure to double-check before you hand over the last check. I figured folks on this forum my have some stories or even core advice on what to double check before the contractor takes that last $$$.

FWIW - I have tried to be very involved (my perspective) in the installation. I've gone up on the roof a number of times to look around, ask questions, take photos of everything, etc. My contractor says I am the only homeowner they've ever had that went up on the roof... (which requires a 28ft ladder)... but they have been really good about it. I've inspected everything from the way the j-boxes were wired, to the way the panels were aligned - under the theory that I may not know what I am looking at, but I might notice if something looked out of place or sloppy. Even chalking cracked tiles during the installation so they don't get overlooked when things are repaired/replaced.

But what about you? Are there 2-3 features, places, items that you always double check at the end of an installation? 2-3 items a homeowner should always be on the look-out for?

Thanks.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

I try to check twice a year, for any warm connections after running for a while at maximum power. Sometimes these can work
    loose and eventually burn out if not detected. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bayareaemt
      • Jul 2016

I am newbie and still researching on solar install stuff. But my question is, shouldn't the installer on hook for fixing anything for whatever 10-15 years they signed up for? I guess with monitoring tools home owner can see if production dropped drastically

Comment

• Git
        • May 2016

My system was installed during the first of this month and I also went up on the roof every night to check things out. (Didn't want to go up there while they were working and get in the way. 2 story roof and I also used my own ladder)

I caught a couple of little things that were overlooked - but my install involved more 'roofing work' than normal. One thing was they replaced a dormer style vent with a flat one - and the new opening in the plywood was not very big so they ended up enlarging it. The other was they relocated a plumbing stack and used the same flat style roof vent which is a no-no for plumbing, and they also fixed that. Other than that - just make sure you got everything you paid for equipment wise and the left the roof in good shape. My contractor even gave my a thumb drive with a bunch of installation photo's that they took. They even have a checklist that they follow to ensure certain things were done correctly. I was impressed - very professional

Lastly, I paid for an extended warranty on the Inverter (12 to 25 years) and I am still waiting for verification on that

Comment

Working...