Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsalla
    • Apr 2015

Where to locate my second panel

Last summer, I installed a 24 volt panel. To determine its location, I used some suggested methods to find where the panel would get be exposed to the sun for the greatest number of hours during the day. The panel is on a pole in the ground. The highest point of the panel is about six feet off the ground. I thought for sure this panel would get as much sun as possible. When the winter rolled around, however, the panel was covered by shade for a significant portion of the day. The methods I used to place the panel were suggested by people and literature that I thought were knowledgeable on the subject.

I am going to install a second panel and wire it with the existing panel. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should determine the location of the second panel? Should I wire the second panel parallel to the first panel or in a series with the first panel. I currently have two six volt batteries wired in series and a PVM controller. I understand that I may need a different type of controller to get the most efficient use of the panel(s).

I have considered moving the first panel but am not sure its worth the effort.

The off grid system I have now is not producing enough electricity for my needs. I use the system mainly to power items in my detached garage.

Your help, comments, counsel and advice would be greatly appreciated.

John S.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Depending on the specifications of your charge controller will determine how to wire your second panel. Most PWM CC will only allow panels wired in parallel which may also get the most out of your system. Better CC allow you to wire the panels in series but may or may not reduce the total output of the CC for charging.

IMO if the first panel gets too much shade during the Winter then find a place where it gets more sunlight. It is better to have all your panels near each other to reduce the wiring as well as simplify your system circuit.

As for not getting enough power from your batteries. That may be because you have under sized the battery system along with the panel wattage.

What is your calculated daily watt hour usage?
    Also what is the battery, charge controller and panel spec. Without that info it would be hard to determine what the issue is besides the lack of sunlight in the Winter time.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Keeping panels out of the shadows is a problem for some of us. A solar pathfinder or equivalent can predict shade; a year of observation
      will help, and maybe a chain saw. I'd suggest a landscape mount not directly adjacent to anything, to help with snow. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...