Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiletrac and lightweight cement tiles. Needs reroof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiletrac and lightweight cement tiles. Needs reroof?

I'm looking into an installer with good reviews. They use some kind of tiletrac double flash mounting. I have S-shaped cement tiles from about 15 years ago and they told me it's some kind of lightweight tiles. I'm sure it's not clay. After the inspection, they upped the installation price by a couple of thousand dollars saying that they needed to have a professional roofer take care of the broken tiles after the solar installation. It kind of didn't make sense to me, but he insists that is what my roof needs. Does this make sense?

They also offered to replace the solar areas with shingles for many thousands more, but seems like just a way to make more money and I'm not even entertaining that thought.
    Last edited by huge; 06-19-2016, 09:25 AM.

It may make sense. Think long term. An array will last a long time. Like 20+ years or more.

The tiles don't do as much for roof leak tightness as the paper under them. It may be wise, not so much for the 15 prior years, but for the next 15-20 years to have the paper, at least the paper under the tiles, replaced. Chasing a leak in a roof membrane is always a PITA. Removing PV panels to chase a leak is worse, and much more expensive, not to mention the probability of a roofer making a mistake when getting things back together, or coordinating with a solar vendor who may not think the liability of working on an aged system they may not have installed is worth it.

Get your roof serviced and repaired as necessary before any solar work is done, not only to replace broken tiles, but fixing pest/water/other damage and, for the sake of pre servicing the under array roof, replacing the paper under that portion of the roof and possibly avoid some future disruption.

Consider roof "pre-maintenance" as cheap insurance. Or, consider that it will cost a lot more later than now.

I'd respectfully suggest you also consider contracting the roof work separately from the possible solar install. With no implied disrespect to solar vendors, they often subcontract roof work to the lowest bidder, and a roof is not the place to cheap out. I coordinated needed roof work between the chosen roofing contractor and the solar contractor, with the roofer installing the posts after the solar vendor laid them out on a newly papered roof. The roofer then double flashed the posts and reset the tiles. I watched from both sides of the roof (inside/outside) to ensure the raters got hit. There was one miss I'm aware of and that was plugged and repapered. The solar vendor broke a few tiles - that's probably and almost unavoidable, but I had spares from the repair.

Essential and heads' up roof maint. is an essential consideration and a likely expense that the fancy ads don't talk much about.

Add: Not my roof/house/$$/life, but even if someone offered to pay me to do it, I'd never, even in my worst dreams, and for a lot of what I consider sound and common sense practical reasons, consider replacing the tile under an array with shingles. That is, IMO, creating a ticking bomb problem. Doing such a thing only makes life easier for the vendor and leaves a problem waiting to happen. It only plants future problems for the owner for no benefit.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-19-2016, 11:13 AM. Reason: Added add.

Comment

Thanks JPM. I agree with your thinking, but he specifically told me the paper is not going to be changed, which made me even more nervous

Comment

Originally posted by huge View Post
        Thanks JPM. I agree with your thinking, but he specifically told me the paper is not going to be changed, which made me even more nervous
        You're welcome. Understood. For a well sealed roof, the paper is usually what provides most of the moisture protection.

I'd suggest to get and listen to expert opinions, but, like most things, question everything everyone say, even and maybe particularly me, and follow the money before making a decision.

Comment

Working...
        X