Where does one normally wire in the inverter power?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supertrucker
    • Jun 2016

Where does one normally wire in the inverter power?

I have a mobile home that has a meter and a switch similar to this:http://tinyurl.com/ztn8q2p
    Is that where I would wire in my inverter power or would I have to have an additional switch?
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by supertrucker
    I have a mobile home that has a meter and a switch similar to this:http://tinyurl.com/ztn8q2p
    Is that where I would wire in my inverter power or would I have to have an additional switch?
    Hard to say. There are several different ways to interconnect. Most mobile homes do not have the roof structure for roof mounted solar though.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• supertrucker
      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Hard to say. There are several different ways to interconnect. Most mobile homes do not have the roof structure for roof mounted solar though.
      I guess what I'm wondering is can I wire directly to the unenergized side of this switch? I'm not exactly sure what you call this switch since it is actually a circuit breaker and not a true knife switch? My electric company says they give you a smart meter and program it to do net metering, but I didn't know what that wiring diagram looks like exactly? If I just got my system rewired with a plug in for a generator could I just tie into that? I want it to be DIY ready where I could run my own inverter wiring directly to the input.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I am sorry I just don't understand.

You want to perform a DIY wiring connection to your motor home but don't have a clue about electrical wiring and the safety codes.

I would respectfully ask you to go find someone that has an electrical license to perform the work and stay away from the dangers of electrical power.

Getting help on an open forum may end up getting you hurt. Please do not perform the work yourself.

Comment

• supertrucker
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I am sorry I just don't understand.

You want to perform a DIY wiring connection to your motor home but don't have a clue about electrical wiring and the safety codes.

I would respectfully ask you to go find someone that has an electrical license to perform the work and stay away from the dangers of electrical power.

Getting help on an open forum may end up getting you hurt. Please do not perform the work yourself.
          I would respectfully say that many people plug in portable generators and I believe it is the same standards.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

I would respectfully say that many people plug in portable generators and I believe it is the same standards.
            It is not!
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Very different animals. A generator is a power source that energizes an otherwise-dead distribution network. We have used such systems for as long as we have had electric power. A standard grid tie inverter adds power to an already-energized system and cannot be used to power it alone. Different goal, different safety issues and different risks.

Comment

• supertrucker
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by jflorey2
                Very different animals. A generator is a power source that energizes an otherwise-dead distribution network. We have used such systems for as long as we have had electric power. A standard grid tie inverter adds power to an already-energized system and cannot be used to power it alone. Different goal, different safety issues and different risks.
                Back to my original question...I have a cutler hammer disconnect box between my meter and my circuit breaker panel that sits outside on a pole. I live in a mobile home. I'm wondering if I can wire the inverter directly to the load side of the disconnect box? I'm just trying to assess what additional hardware I would need to attach an inverter to the utility source. The utility says I can get a net metering meter if I like. I currently do not have one. I realize some people use a spare space in their circuit breaker panel to back feed power. I have no empty slots since it is a 100 amp panel.

I found this device and wondered if this is typically allowed by the utility? http://connectder.com/wp-content/upl...R-cutsheet.pdf
                Last edited by supertrucker; 06-18-2016, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Back to my original question...I have a cutler hammer disconnect box between my meter and my circuit breaker panel that sits outside on a pole. I live in a mobile home. I'm wondering if I can wire the inverter directly to the load side of the disconnect box? I'm just trying to assess what additional hardware I would need to attach an inverter to the utility source. The utility says I can get a net metering meter if I like. I currently do not have one. I realize some people use a spare space in their circuit breaker panel to back feed power. I have no empty slots since it is a 100 amp panel.

I found this device and wondered if this is typically allowed by the utility? http://connectder.com/wp-content/upl...R-cutsheet.pdf
                  Short answer is NO. You can not wire your inverter between the meter and the circuit breaker on the pole. You will need some type of net metering agreement with your POCO.

Second the only way you could install that device you show at the meter would be to have the POCO do it for you. If you touch your meter (actually it belongs to the POCO) you could be fined.

Are we clear on this? If not then please stop asking for something that is both illegal and dangerous.

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Back to my original question...I have a cutler hammer disconnect box between my meter and my circuit breaker panel that sits outside on a pole. I live in a mobile home. I'm wondering if I can wire the inverter directly to the load side of the disconnect box? I'm just trying to assess what additional hardware I would need to attach an inverter to the utility source.
                    You would need a new load center and a net metering agreement, along with the panels, inverter, mounting hardware etc. One alternative to a new load center is a line-side tap, which can be done with a meter adapter in some cases (as in the link you posted.) You CANNOT do this yourself, period, and no amount of "but what if I . . ." will get around that. Local solar installers who are familiar with your POCO's requirements would be the best place to start if you want to do this.

Comment

• supertrucker
                      • Jun 2016

I found this: http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ers/MPV-15.pdf Is this something the POCO will let an electrician install with a net metering agreement?

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

You have to ask the power co what they allow.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...