Installation of a 5MW plant at my university

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of a 5MW plant at my university

Installation of a 5MW plant at my university (Jordan, Middle East)

two-fold solar power plant:

1) 1 MW DC low-voltage grid-connected photovoltaic systems at the main-spine, pedestrian walkways, car parking lots.

2) 4 MW DC medium-voltage grid-connected photovoltaic system.

More than 16,000 panel used, from Yingli Solar, YL310P-35b.
    Inverters from ABB. 27.6, 20 and 12.5.
    Last edited by nidalls; 04-16-2016, 06:58 AM.

Neat! What percent of the university's power will it supply, and what is the payback time?

Comment

What type of monitoring is planned for the installation ?

Comment

DanKegel
        100%.
        But the percentage may be reduced, because there are new buildings under construction at the university.

Comment

J.P.M. EVO from ABB
          and they will use SCADA too

Comment

Originally posted by nidalls View Post
            Installation of a 5MW plant at my university (Jordan, Middle East)

two-fold solar power plant:

1) 1 MW DC low-voltage grid-connected photovoltaic systems at the main-spine, pedestrian walkways, car parking lots.

2) 4 MW DC medium-voltage grid-connected photovoltaic system.

More than 16,000 panel used, from Yingli Solar, YL310P-35b.
            Inverters from ABB. 27.6, 20 and 12.5.
            I would be concerned, that some day, someone carrying a metal pipe, etc on that walkway
            would accidentally poke it through those panels overhead. The system might be operating
            at 1000V, so it could easily be fatal. We are not allowed to have power lines that low.
            Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

I would be concerned, that some day, someone carrying a metal pipe, etc on that walkway
              would accidentally poke it through those panels overhead. The system might be operating
              at 1000V, so it could easily be fatal. We are not allowed to have power lines that low.
              Bruce Roe

The station is still under construction, the wires appear in the image have been linked.
              I think that's shown you otherwise existing in fact, panels rising from the ground at least 4 meters.

If this increase is not enough in terms of safety, it means that we can not design canopies covered with solar cells :l :l

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

would accidentally poke it through those panels overhead.
                I see many parking lots with similar setups - and those haven't been a problem that I've heard of.

It's certainly possible someone could be maliciously trying to damage the panels with a metal pole and hurt themselves.
                I think it's as likely as an idiot pokes a pole into a overhead power drop from the utility (which is about the same height and hurt themselves that way too.)
                (probably less likely - I can see someone using a pool-cleaning pole with a brush/net/etc and not thinking of the OH line when they walk around the corner of the house with the pole in hand.

Comment

The height of the panels over a parking area or walk way is regulated by the NEC along with how easy it would be for someone to get shocked by exposed wires or energized connections. I do not have the latest NEC in front of me but IMO 4 meters should be high enough to keep it out of reach of non certified people thus making it safe. It also comes down to the voltage rating of the system.

Of course you sometimes have to make it even safer because someone may be stupid enough to try to touch the wires with a steel pole.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM. Reason: added sentence

Comment

Working...
                  X