For you electrical INSTALL brains - I already have a system of 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you electrical INSTALL brains - I already have a system of 14

Oregon panels installed and working VIA the SDGE "smart meter" with a P.I.G. 4-prong generator plug outside the garage.

The P.I.G has a separate box installed in garage for switch-over if and when the GRID goes down. The panel box for the generator can now run my lights and plugs in 7 rooms plus the FRIG with the dual fuel generators. My system averages about 19 KW per day since new in November, 2015.

My question(s) dear electricians is this:

Can I also install another line (with a box for long term shut down of the grid) to by-pass the so-called "smart meter?"

That line would have to include batteries of course.

OR

Is there another way to go? Any other alternatives? Maybe even a separate system? YOU name IT.

Not sure what you are asking (the terms are unknown) I'll assume the PIG is some sort of manual transfer switch that you either throw a lever or un-plug and replug the house into a Grid or Generator ?

No way will the electric company allow you to bypass their meter, smart or not. Your generator should not be metered. Your GT panels/Inverter should go backwards through the meter and unwind your usage.

If you add batteries, you need a new Permit and Agreement along with a new inverter and Charge controller, and 5 year battery replacement. The cost of replacing batteries will make your system un-econimical and is pointless unless you loose grid power for weeks at a time.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks MIKE for getting me up-to-speed.

A PIG is a PRIVATE/PERSONAL (P) INTERCONNECTION (I) GENERATOR (G) PLUG - namely a 4-prong plug in a box upside down - outside the home with a panel attached behind it in the garage - to switch off the smart meter circuits and just run the new panel box 6 circuits installed via the PIG connection generator.

You opened my mind on all the various ramifications.

Again thanks MIKE "prince of power."

Comment

Working...
      X