Pls i urgently need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls i urgently need help

You guys are doing a wonderful job here. Pls. I have the following at my disposal a 4 battery of 12v/200ah, 6 solar panels of 30v ,300w, 9a. And a charge controller of 48v/60a .my inverter is 3.5kva/48v. Now my question is how do I configure my solar panels to match my charge controller without any error. Thanks in advance.

depends on the max input voltage of your CC. I suspect 2 strings of 3 in series will do it, but would need to know more info. are those used 12v Gel batteries?
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

Originally posted by Logan005 View Post
      depends on the max input voltage of your CC. I suspect 2 strings of 3 in series will do it, but would need to know more info. are those used 12v Gel batteries?
      Thank you for the quick response , the maximum voltage is 48v and the batterys are gel, new .

Comment

Gel batteries are not going to work worth a damn. 99% of gel batteries are made for Stand-By Power systems being charge slowly at C/20. Solar applications use much higher charge rates of C/8 to C/12, that will destroy most Gel batteries day one.

You have 1800 watts of solar panels. They can be configured for either 24 or 48 volt battery. At 1800 watts generates 75 amps of charge current @ 24 volt battery, and 37 amps At 48 volt battery. To handle that kind of current with FLA batteries requires a minimum of 600 AH @ 24 volts, and 300 AH @ 48 volts.

Now hear is your problem. Even if your batteries were FLA, they could not handle the charge current at 1800 watts. You have Gel batteries at 200 AH. Regardless of how you configure them at 24 or 48 volts, the maximum power they can handle is 1000 watts.

At 1000 watts you can use a 80 amp controller for 12 volts.
        40 amps @ 24 volts
        20 amps @ 48 volts.

Gel are just not worth the effort even if free.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

My worried is connecting the panels in 2 strings of 3 in series will definitely give 60v which is way above the input voltage (48v) of my charge controller. Pls I need more explanation .

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Gel batteries are not going to work worth a damn. 99% of gel batteries are made for Stand-By Power systems being charge slowly at C/20. Solar applications use much higher charge rates of C/8 to C/12, that will destroy most Gel batteries day one.

You have 1800 watts of solar panels. They can be configured for either 24 or 48 volt battery. At 1800 watts generates 75 amps of charge current @ 24 volt battery, and 37 amps At 48 volt battery. To handle that kind of current with FLA batteries requires a minimum of 600 AH @ 24 volts, and 300 AH @ 48 volts.

Now hear is your problem. Even if your batteries were FLA, they could not handle the charge current at 1800 watts. You have Gel batteries at 200 AH. Regardless of how you configure them at 24 or 48 volts, the maximum power they can handle is 1000 watts.

At 1000 watts you can use a 80 amp controller for 12 volts.
            40 amps @ 24 volts
            20 amps @ 48 volts.

Gel are just not worth the effort even if free.
            Thanks for your time Sunking, It seem you aren't getting my points.. (Oh sorry English isn't my first language) pls kindly assist me on how to work with what I have on ground.. My question is this..how do I configure my panels to work with my 48v charge ccontrol ? 2 strings of 3 in series as mentioned above? If yes, that make it 60v which is way above my charge control 48v max. I don't want to fried the controller. Thanks

Comment

Please provide the make and model of your charge controller.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by Dany View Post
                My worried is connecting the panels in 2 strings of 3 in series will definitely give 60v which is way above the input voltage (48v) of my charge controller. Pls I need more explanation .
                if your CC is limited to only 60V DC input when charging a 48V battery it is not an MPPT CC (or is not a good one) and so is not going to be suitable for your needs. (Although if you have more panel power than your batteries can handle some waste may be OK. )
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

you can not charge a 48volt battery bank with 48 volts, you need in excess of 50 volts to charge 48 volt bank. I second: the GEL batteries if used are likely already boat anchors. If new good for a year or so cyclical solar use. I hope you did not pay for them if they are used.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
                    Please provide the make and model of your charge controller.
                    MorningStar 24/48v 60a MPPT cc.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

if your CC is limited to only 60V DC input when charging a 48V battery it is not an MPPT CC (or is not a good one) and so is not going to be suitable for your needs. (Although if you have more panel power than your batteries can handle some waste may be OK. )
                      The cc is morningstar 24/48v 60a. Pls what's is the implication if I wire the 6 panels in 2 strings of 3 in series?

Comment

I show a 150 volt max voc, for many morningStar products. I assume the unit you have is the 48 volt only version and 2 strings of 3 in series will work perfectly,

Comment

2 strings will send apx 100 volts into MPPT controller that is specifically designed to maintain a 48 volt battery bank. this is how this CC is intended to be used. other than your GEL batteries you will be fine.

Comment

If you have the 48 volt specific MorningStar 60a charger, is a very nice unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan005 View Post
                              you can not charge a 48volt battery bank with 48 volts, you need in excess of 50 volts to charge 48 volt bank. I second: the GEL batteries if used are likely already boat anchors. If new good for a year or so cyclical solar use. I hope you did not pay for them if they are used.
                              Fortunately and Unfortunately I paid for the batteries but they're new not used. Well If it manage to work for more than a year then it would be a bargain considering the price..#smile. I got your point but my problem is i need to manage this situation pending the time that I will have enough money to invest in a better cc .

Comment

Working...
                              X