Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hgfortis
    • Feb 2016

Solar Panels Watts vs Inverter Watts

I currently have 6 250W Solar Panels working with a 1500W Inverter & 8 225AH 6V Batteries installed at my home.

I was thinking about adding one or two additional 250W Solar Panels to ensure that the batteries are fully charged by night fall. Is it possible to have a 2000 Watts Solar Panels with a 1500W Inverter?

If it is possible, would this damage the batteries in terms of over charging etc...
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

What charge controller are you using?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by hgfortis
      I currently have 6 250W Solar Panels working with a 1500W Inverter & 8 225AH 6V Batteries installed at my home.

I was thinking about adding one or two additional 250W Solar Panels to ensure that the batteries are fully charged by night fall. Is it possible to have a 2000 Watts Solar Panels with a 1500W Inverter?

If it is possible, would this damage the batteries in terms of over charging etc...
      Read the stickies in the Off Grid section and you will find the answers to your questions, including some helpful calculators.

The general process is to first calculate your loads as accurately as you can.
      Then figure out what battery bank size you need.
      Then figure out the panel array size you need to charge that bank based on your location and season.

There is no direct connection between the inverter size and the array size, particularly when you do not specify the maximum load or the total time you will be running your loads.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• hgfortis
        • Feb 2016

C60 - Xantrex 60A Charge Controller

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2011

Is your battery bank 24 or 48 volt? If it's 24volt you're already maxed out on the charge controller. If it's 48 Volt your charge controller can handle the extra.

Are the batteries flooded or AGMs? If flooded your charge rate is already on the high side and you don't really want to go higher. If there AGMs then 2000 watts of panels would be about the limit.

Comment

Working...