X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar cell cracks

Hi Everyone..
    I am a new member and posting my first question..You may get sick of me but here goes..When soldering the cells together does it matter if any of the cells are cracked or crack after..I found out how easy they are to crack and haven.t even started yet.Where would i look to get the method of working out which way the cells go to solder.....See told you you would get sick of me and I have only started..It may have something to do with that I live down the southern end of Australia at Apollo Bay vic.. Well sorry I took up your time...Only joking Bye all Peter..

Hi Peter - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

One of the DIY types should be along - they can best answer your query.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cracked cells do not carry / share mutual current very well, and will bring down the whole array shortly.

Often, micro cracks form, and over a years worth of time, daily heating and cooling, develop into real cracks.

Cracks are never good news.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

after 5 months my home small solar system panel have developed this ...what is it snail trail ,,,micro crack?...the pv still works though
        Attached Files

Comment

1 year later the panel seem ok but seem is s othing and reality is some thing else the panel is part of 500 watt system that now only produc 290 watt

i highly suspect this panel for this lose of power the system hhave high end mppt and yet no power

Comment

Most DIY panels fail in a couple years, with many factors causing their demise.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              Most DIY panels fail in a couple years, with many factors causing their demise.
              this is chinese panel b so it ts supposedly professionally made and not a hobbies-ts product ....i was using pwm based system so was not sure what its performance was when i switched to mppt that have lcd display that shows the system performance i was shocked

the fact that it gives it voc and isc well is not a gurantee that the panel is ok actually its gives some what decreased isc but once in system it really perform badly

put it in serious with 256 watt new panel and used an mppt and iall i got is just 290watt peak

some thing is fishy and i will make pictures and put more data in this thread to at least befit people of what they will expect of panel that is plagued with

mini cracks

however there is chance that the new panel is defective so lets me receive my new dc amper clamp meter and do the tests
              Last edited by gendil; 10-13-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X