X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NochiLife
    • Jun 2019

Hello from the Midwest

I recently came across this forum, and hope to be of value to it, as well as learn from those who have more experience in the field. "My story" is an off-grid system comprising of 12 SolarWorld SW245s (well, technically 11, but that's another story ), a Morningstar Tristar TS-MPPT-60, connected to a (home made) 51.2v, 12KWh LiFePo4 battery bank (home made balancers; zero issues), running most appliances on a shoddy cheap Chinese pure sine 3KW inverter for now (hey, it was only $280!)
    I will note that I am an electronics hobbyist, designing, building and programming my own circuits (most of the time without smoke), not to mention rewiring numerous appliances/devices to run on DC instead of the AC they were originally intended. (Some easy, many more difficult.) I fully understand that not everyone should be getting under the potting compound of the control module inside their tankless propane water heater to make it run off of 12vDC...to say nothing of adding a modulating gas valve to make it fully temperature regulated . (I won't even mention the convection microwave project.) My goal is to run anything that has "standby" from a 12vDC line, only drawing AC when needed (allowing inverter standby, which saves power.) So far so good.
    Yes, it's difficult to find electronics to run at ~48vDC, and there's a lot of Chinese junk out there (three particular products come to mind.) Call me the Chinese product guinea pig if you want .

Hello everyone! Let the sun shine (especially this year...)
    Last edited by NochiLife; 06-22-2019, 12:53 PM.
Working...