X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new here

Hello guys, I am new here. I got into some road block with my installer and concern about safety of my solar structure, feel free to comment on my post. Thanks

Tomato

And your concerns are....
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Hi Tomato and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Comment

Originally posted by tomatoUSA

Please take a look at my post "Which is a fair contract rate per watt???", I have pictures of my panels in PDF attached to that post. Thanks
        That is one of the ugliest installs I've ever seen. Your installers need to go back to the Home Depot parking lot and look for some work in the ditch digging field..

The incorrectly oriented rail and hold down clamp really speak for themselves.

Are you using microinverters? Hope so due to the shading being caused by the mast rising up from between the array. Is that a TV antenna? Could it have been relocated?

There's no reason the panels should be in contact with your roof. Aside from the poorly located and too short lower legs. They might have been reluctant to slide the panels upward because the upper rail is already poorly placed due to the too short legs.

What's going on with the large PVC plastic conduit? Is there a Jacuzzi on the roof we cant see?

Sorry to sound harsh but you really should have done your homework and gotten some reviews on this solar company. I cant see anybody doing this level of work getting any positive reviews.
        Last edited by littleharbor; 05-26-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

That is one of the ugliest installs I've ever seen. Your installers need to go back to the Home Depot parking lot and look for some work in the ditch digging field..

The incorrectly oriented rail and hold down clamp really speak for themselves.

Are you using microinverters? Hope so due to the shading being caused by the mast rising up from between the array. Is that a TV antenna? Could it have been relocated?

There's no reason the panels should be in contact with your roof. Aside from the poorly located and too short lower legs. They might have been reluctant to slide the panels upward because the upper rail is already poorly placed due to the too short legs.

What's going on with the large PVC plastic conduit? Is there a Jacuzzi on the roof we cant see?

Sorry to sound harsh but you really should have done your homework and gotten some reviews on this solar company. I cant see anybody doing this level of work getting any positive reviews.
          I'd sure like to get a look at that but for some reason I can't get the photos to come up.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I'd sure like to get a look at that but for some reason I can't get the photos to come up.
            They are PDF's of the roof top. I agree with littleharbor. The installation leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

I agree with littleharbor and@sun eagle......that is not a professional install. Worst is the PVC conduit. I have never seen PVC conduit allowed on a roof, don't think it's legal or OK with your insurance company. You may be incurring some liability there. If it's not code your insurance company has a way out of paying you if the system burns down your house. Get a local professional to assess the installation........just my humble option!
              david

Comment

I need to go back and look again at the pics, can't do that here, slow internet, will peek today, Not sure what chemleak is, if that is low voltage data cables, probably ok under the code, but my understanding is PVC is not allowed for power on the roof, I might be wrong on that as I do not work with grid tie, exclusively off grid so I have never dealt with AC power on a roof. Please explain chemleak
                Last edited by Tecnodave; 05-28-2019, 11:44 AM. Reason: Did not see gray PVC, pic didn't come out too good on iPad, will peek with PC

Comment

I can see only the large PVC conduit its light grey in color as far as I can tell, but that could be manufacturing difference, mine is darker. Inspectors here don't like PVC used for power on the roof, my local inspectors want EMT with waterproof couplers.

In any case that mechanical assembly leaves much to be desired, I would be reluctant to lay down any money until job is satisfactory
                  Last edited by Tecnodave; 05-28-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Ok, I thought that is what it might be. So is PVC ok in NYC, codes do vary, even city to city. One city around here is still 1993 NEC....LOL
                    I do understand that is difficult to seal roof penetration, I don't do that, that's the roofers job.

Comment

Dave, zoom in on photo#3, bottom left side of the array. Look at the transition box. Any comment?

Comment

Littlrharbor,

It look like the temnination of the conduit is broken and shoved into the box as well as the joint between the sweeps has been broken and patched with roofing tar. Would not pass here in California, really sloppy work. Probably will leak water into the conduit and we all know which water flows to where?

Comment

Originally posted by Tecnodave View Post
                          Littlrharbor,

It look like the temnination of the conduit is broken and shoved into the box as well as the joint between the sweeps has been broken and patched with roofing tar. Would not pass here in California, really sloppy work. Probably will leak water into the conduit and we all know which water flows to where?
                          AND... The transition box looks to be poorly attached and possibly making contact with the back sheet of the panel. You did see the photo of the rail and end clamp that were just slightly askew, didn't you? Pretty rough job.

Comment

Yes I did see that, not acceptable at all, my inspectors would require that I replace from the sweeps to the transition box. There is no way that that roofing compound, broken terminal adapter, touching the panel, poor clamping at the rail, panels touching the roofing is acceptable. I like the comment about sending the installers down to home Cheepo to look for ditch digging work. I hear that you can buy contractors and inspectors in NYC. I would be embarrassed to call for an inspection with any of that. You start showing sloppy work here the inspectors will start digging for more.....I get sign offs without a problem, I fix every detail, it's about reputation

looks to me like the terminal adapter is broken off and conduit stuck in box?
                            Last edited by Tecnodave; 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X