X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hube2
    • Apr 2019

New - In Central NY

Hello!

Just introducing myself. I was looking for some specific information and since after a week of searching the interwebs and not locating what I was looking for I started searching for forums where I could ask people that may know and found this one. I will post my question when I figure out where I should ask it, there are a lot of forums here and it's a little confusing. Were should I as simple "how do I" questions.

I live in central NY, in Oneida County. I don't live on the highest peek the county, but I can see it from here. :P I have a 10KW (actually 9.8 because my town has this stupid rule about not going over 10KW and 9.8 was as close as I could get without going over) ground mounted array in my back yard that was installed in December of 2017, just in time to get the maximum in federal incentives before the tax changes for solar that will happen in 2020. I'm pretty happy with it and with the company that installed it. Not sure where I should mention them. I was not very happy with the weather last year though. The weather man says it was average, but I've been living here for 22 years and I know that we had a below average year for sun last year. When you have a garden that is 100 x 50 feet, you tend to pay attention to these things. April, June, August, September, October and November were all below average sun months here. Needless to say I did not produce quite as much electricity as I would have hoped for. Hoping for a better 2019.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Ground mounts are great, will you show us a picture? In case snow is a problem for you, I
    have modified my ground mount to minimize the problem. Clouds hurt, but there is some
    compensation. Bruce Roe
    Last edited by bcroe; 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Welcome to the neighborhood. I grew up on the other side of Syracuse. A great place to be from.

Not a knock on Bruce, but he may not fully understand the scope of his understatement about possible snow situations in CNY.

Comment

• hube2
        • Apr 2019

Here is an image
        20190411_151829.jpg
        I don't really have much of a problem with snow here, even though I get more snow than buffalo, because the snow generally false horizontally do to the winds and rarely falls vertically. I get little snow build up on the top edge due to the direction of the wind, which in this picture is usually from the direction you can see, NW.
        Attached Files

Comment

• hube2
          • Apr 2019

I just saw the post about snow situations. I live in an area the get's more than it's fair share. Buffalo has nothing us. Only Tug Hill get's more snow then we get here. The main issue is the you can rarely measure snow fall here because of the wind. 20MPH here is a light breeze and there are less then 10 days a year that are calm. I have been here for 22 years and I moved in knowing what to expect. The other houses in my neighborhood are generally up for sale every 2 to 3 years. Once people see what winters are like they generally move out. Only people that have lived here their entire lives stick it out. There are a few exceptions, but that's generally the rule.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by hube2
            I just saw the post about snow situations. I live in an area the get's more than it's fair share. Buffalo has nothing us. Only Tug Hill get's more snow then we get here. The main issue is the you can rarely measure snow fall here because of the wind. 20MPH here is a light breeze and there are less then 10 days a year that are calm. I have been here for 22 years and I moved in knowing what to expect. The other houses in my neighborhood are generally up for sale every 2 to 3 years. Once people see what winters are like they generally move out. Only people that have lived here their entire lives stick it out. There are a few exceptions, but that's generally the rule.
            Understood. Some readers may think you're jesting or exaggerating. I know better. Been there. Done that. Literally.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-11-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...